Amanda Muliawan's win at second singles provided the clincher as the Princeton women's tennis team beat DePaul 4-3 Friday evening in Jadwin Gym in a battle of ITA-ranked teams.
No. 68 Princeton took the doubles point but saw No. 75 DePaul win the first two singles matches to be decided. Emily Hahn squared it at 2-2 with a win at sixth singles, and Katherine Flanigan provided a three-set win at fourth singles to put the Tigers one point away.
DePaul delayed that with a win for its ITA-ranked player, No. 85 Matea Cutura, at first singles, but 112nd-ranked Muliawan outlasted DePaul's Patricia Fargas in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.
It was Princeton's first win in three tries against an ITA-ranked team this season after losing 4-3 to No. 52 Missouri one month ago and 7-0 to third-ranked Duke on Feb. 23.
Princeton will have a short turnaround before facing Binghamton at noon Saturday in Jadwin Gym.
(68) Princeton (6-3) 4, (75) DePaul (9-6) 3
1. Cutura/Vladutu (D) def. Joan Cannon/Goepel (P), 8-3
2. Flanigan/Muliawan (P) def. Fargas/Lawson (D), 8-2
3. Chow/Graff (P) def. Fisher/Sufi (D), 8-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. (85) Matea Cutura (D) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 7-6, 6-4
2. (112) Amanda Muliawan (P) def. Patricia Fargas (D), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
3. Ana Vladutu (D) def. Monica Chow (P), 6-3, 6-4
4. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. Kelsey Lawson (D), 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
5. Jarret Fisher (D) def. Katie Goepel (P), 6-3, 6-4
6. Emily Hahn (P) def. Zaina Sufi (D), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 5,3,6,4,1,2