2015 Camps
Article Image
Sophomore Tom Kroshus had a two-point game, scoring his first career goal.
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications

Men's Hockey Earns 4-4 Tie at No. 8 Union

By: Princeton Athletic Communications
          Release: 12/01/2012
Print RSS

Box Score

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (12/1/12) - The Princeton men's hockey team skated to a 4-4 tie with No. 8 Union on Saturday, Dec. 1 at Messa Rink. The Tigers had a 4-2 lead at the end of the second period, but Union got two in the final period to force overtime.

It was a tale of two halves in the first period as Princeton dominated and took an early 1-0 lead. Sophomore Tyler Maugeri put the Tigers on top with his sixth goal of the season with junior Andrew Calof and senior Eric Meland assisting.

A goal by Greg Coburn at 10:07 shifted the game as Union started to take control. Shane Gostisbehere got the puck in the corner and fed Coburn, who launched a shot from the right point that deflected off a Princeton defender's skate popped into the goal on the left side.

The Tigers had a 5-4 edge in shots through the first 10 minutes. The Dutchmen closed out the final 10 with an 11-4 edge and took the lead.

A power-play goal by Josh Jooris at 15:57 gave Union the 2-1 lead and halted Princeton's penalty killing streak at 14. Daniel Carr and Tim Boyle earned the assists on the goal.

Identical to Friday night's 2-2 tie with RPI, Condon made 13 stops in the first period. Colin Stevens made eight on the other end.

Just 1:09 into the second period, junior Eric Carlson snapped a 15-game goal scoring skid to tie the game at 2-2. Sophomore Aaron Ave rocketed a shot from the right point and Carlson, positioned in front, was able to redirect it behind Stevens. Sophomore Tom Kroshus picked up his career point with the secondary assist. It also marked Ave's first point of the season.

Less than four minutes later, junior Will MacDonald gave the Tigers a 3-2 lead with sophomore Aaron Kesselman assisting.

The Tigers weren't done yet as Kroshus scored his first career goal to give Princeton a 4-2 lead at 12:23 when he fired a shot from the right point. Maugeri got the puck from Calof and fed Kroshus for the goal.

Following that score, Union replaced Stevens in goal with Troy Grosenick. Stevens went to the bench with 14 saves and four goals allowed. Grosenick made one stop in the final 7:37. Shots in the second period were even at 10 apiece.

Union was desperate to get itself back in the game, taking 15 shots to Princeton's four in the third period. Its hard work paid off as it scored two in the final seven minutes to tie the game.

Gostisbehere cut the Tigers' lead to one, 4-3, at 12:57, when he ripped a shot from the top of the right circle. The goal came during 4x4 action after Union's Matt Wilkins and MacDonald received coincidental holding penalties.

Carr tallied the equalizer with 1:14 remaining with help from Gostisbehere and Bodie and sent the game into extra time.

Princeton had three shots and Union had two in the overtime period, but the teams would finish in a 4-4 tie.

Princeton was 0 for 3 on the power play and 3 for 4 on the penalty kill.

Princeton is now 3-4-3 on the season and 2-1-3 in the ECAC. Union is 8-3-2 overall and 3-2-1 in league play.

The Tigers conclude their seven-game road stretch in the first of a home-and-home with travel partner Quinnipiac on Friday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m.








Hyatt New
Nissan Schedule
> Full Schedule and Results
No Events in the Near Future