Beginning its final Ivy League weekend, the 73rd-ranked Princeton women's tennis team defeated Cornell 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Lenz Tennis Center.
The Tigers will visit Columbia for a noon match Sunday to close the Ivy season.
Princeton lost the doubles point but came back with five singles wins from Lindsay Graff, Katherine Flanigan, Katie Goepel, Emily Hahn and Joan Cannon. It was Cannon's match that was the clincher after the Tiger sophomore rallied from losing a first-set tiebreaker to win the final two sets at sixth singles and take the match.
(73) Princeton (12-6, 4-2) 5, Cornell (13-4, 2-4) 2
1. Cannon/Graff (P) def. Ordway/Tanenbaum, 8-6
2. Frazier/Young (C) def. Flanigan/Hahn, 8-5
3. Judeh/O’Neil (C) def. Chow/Goepel, 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Lindsay Graff (P) def. Sarah O’Neil (C), 6-1, 6-0
2. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. Christine Ordway (C), 6-2, 6-2
3. Ryann Young (C) def. Monica Chow (P), 6-1, 6-3
4. Katie Goepel (P) def. Dena Tanenbaum (C), 6-7, 7-6, (10-4)
5. Emily Hahn (P) def. Laila Judeh (C), 6-3, 6-3
6. Joan Cannon (P) def. Lauren Frazier (C), 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 1,2,3,5,6,4