When Princeton sophomore Alex Sawin took the court for her No. 6 match against Williams College Friday night, she didn't need much of a scouting report against her opponent. She defeated younger sister Caroline 3-0 during Princeton's sweep of Williams.
Sawin's victory was part of a 4-0 run during the opening shift of the match. The two played a tight first game that Alex ultimately won 11-7, and the older sister took control of the match from there with wins of 11-1 and 11-4.
Classmate Libby Eyre also won at No. 2 during the opening shift, while freshmen Hallie Dewey (No. 4) and Alex Lunt (No. 8) also earned 3-0 wins. Princeton finished the job early in the second shift, where the Tigers won all five matches by 3-0 scores. Junior Julie Cerullo, the third-ranked player in the nation, was pushed late by Alli Rubin, but she came up with the big points in an 11-5, 11-3, 12-10 win.
Princeton will take on George Washington Saturday afternoon.
Princeton 9, Williams 0
1) Julie Cerullo d. Alli Rubin 5,3,10
2) Libby Eyre d. Courtney Bogle 7,5,1
3) Katie Giovinazzo d. Ellie O'Neill 8,5,2
4) Hallie Dewey d. Carolyn Kaemmer 3,0,3
5) Lexi Saunders d. Alyssa Northrop 7,1,4
6) Alex Sawin d. Caroline Sawin 7,1,4
7) Nicole Bunyan d. Gibbs Cullin 4,3,5
8) Alex Lunt d. Eliana Saltzman 4,2,3
9) Casey Cortes d. Hollis Miller 6,4,3