Missouri Edges Women's Tennis 4-3
In the first of two matches for the Princeton women's tennis team in Ohio this weekend, 52nd-ranked Missouri got past 73rd-ranked Princeton 4-3 Saturday morning in Akron.
Princeton will face Akron at 10 a.m. Sunday to conclude the two-match trip.
Missouri took the doubles point using Cierra Gaytan-Leach's and Elisha Gabb's win in a battle of ranked doubles pairs over Lindsay Graff and Amanda Muliawan 8-5, coupling that with a win at second doubles. Monica Chow and Katie Goepel had a win at third doubles, 8-4.
Both teams' ranked singles players won, 71st ranked Gaytan-Leach defeating Graff in three sets at the top of the ladder for Missouri in the match-clinching win, while 52nd-ranked Muliawan for Princeton gave up just three games in her straight-set win over Rachel Stuhlmann.
Katherine Flanigan and Goepel also had singles wins at third and fifth singles, respectively.
(52) Missouri (2-1) 4, (73) Princeton (1-1) 3
1. (26) Gabb/Gaytan-Leach (M) (45) Graff/Muliawan (P), 8-5
2. Christensen/Stuhlmann (M) def. Flanigan/Hahn (P), 8-4
3. Chow/Goepel (P) def. Clark/Rhyner (M), 8-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. (71) Cierra Gaytan-Leach (M) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
2. (52) Amanda Muliawan (P) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (M), 6-2, 6-1
3. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. Elisha Gabb (M), 7-5, 7-5
4. Maria Christensen (M) def. Monica Chow (P), 6-1, 6-1
5. Katie Goepel (P) def. Madison Rhyner (M), 7-5, 6-4
6. Alex Clark (M) def. Emily Hahn (P), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 4,2,6,3,5,1