Women's Tennis Caps Regular Season, Tops Cornell 4-3
ITHACA, N.Y. -- The Princeton women's tennis team ended its regular season Sunday afternoon with a 4-3 win at Cornell, finishing 12-10 overall and 5-2 in the Ivy.
Princeton took the doubles point with victories by Katie Goepel and Rachel Saiontz on court two and by Monica Chow and Katherine Flanigan on court three.
Cornell tied the match at 2-2 after winning two of the first three singles matches to be decided, and again at 3-3 after splitting the next two. That left things to Monica Chow and Cornell's Lauren Frazier. After Frazier blanked Chow in the first set, Chow fought back to win the last two sets by a 7-5 score each time, clinching the victory.
Princeton had remained alive for a share of the Ivy League title into Sunday's final full day of Ivy League play, but Yale's win at Dartmouth clinched the outright league crown for the Bulldogs.
(72) Princeton (12-10, 5-2) 4, Cornell (9-10, 1-6) 3
1. Frazier/O'Neil (C) def. (34) Bartlett/Graff (P), 8-4
2. Goepel/Saiontz (P) def. Ordway/Young (C), 8-6
3. Chow/Flanigan (P) def. Perelman/Sullivan (C), 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Sarah O'Neil (C) def. (116) Hilary Bartlett (P), 6-3, 1-6, 7-6(5)
2. Christine Ordway (C) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 7-5, 6-2
3. Ryann Young (C) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 6-1, 6-4
4. Rachel Saiontz (P) def. Gabby Sullivan (C), 6-3, 6-2
5. Monica Chow (P) def. Lauren Frazier (C), 0-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Katie Goepel (P) def. Sara Perelman (C), 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 4,2,3,6,1,5