This Week for the Tigers:
• The reigning national champion Princeton field hockey team returns to the pitch to open 2013 with No. 10 Duke (2-0) and Fairfield (1-0) this weekend at Bedford Field.
• The Tigers’ season opener is set for Friday, Sept. 6 versus the Blue Devils at 6 p.m.
• The Stags head to Bedford the next day for a 4 p.m. meeting.
Last Time Out:
• The Tigers are coming off a historic season, winning the program’s first national championship, 3-2, over then-No. 1 North Carolina and finishing the year at 21-1, 7-0 Ivy.
• Princeton also won its 21st Ivy League championship, going undefeated in league play for the fourth time in five years and 15th time overall.
• Princeton has won at least a share of the last eight consecutive Ivy League titles, bringing home the conference crown 18 of the last 19 seasons.
Follow the Tigers: Live video and stats will be available for all Princeton home games at GoPrincetonTigers.com.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.com/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• Connect with the Tiger Field Hockey team at Facebook.com/TigerFH and Twitter.com/TigerFH.
A Look at Last Year:
• Katie Reinprecht ‘13 was named Princeton’s first Honda Award Winner, along with garnering NFHCA and Mid-Atlantic Player of the Year and Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year honors.
• Kathleen Sharkey ‘13 led the nation in scoring and was named the Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year.
• Teresa Benvenuti ‘16 earned Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors.
• 10 Tigers were named All-Ivy and All-Mid-Atlantic Region Team selections.
• Five players earned All-America accolades.
• Kristen Holmes-Winn was named the NFHCA and Mid-Atlantic Coach of the Year.
• Duke opened the year at home going 2-0. The Blue Devils defeated Indiana, 4-0, on Aug. 30 and No. 17 Drexel, 4-1, on Sept. 1.
• Heather Morris leads the offense with three goals over two outings off the bench.
• Abby Beltrani is the team’s assist leader with three.
• In goal, Lauren Blazing has allowed only one goal and made five saves in 140:00 minutes. She owns a 0.50 goals against average and .833 saves percentage.
All-Time vs. Duke:
• Princeton is 4-2 all-time versus Duke, including going 2-1 at home.
• In their last meeting, the Tigers defeated the Blue Devils 5-2 on Aug. 31, 2012 to open the year on the road.
• Fairfield is coming off a 2-1 victory on the road at Lehigh on Aug. 30 to kick off the year.
• Felicitas Heinen and Kaitlyn Taddeo have been credited with a goal apiece, with Taddeo’s serving as the game-winner off the bench.
• Goalkeeper Caitlin Bennett has four saves, along with a 1.29 goals against average and .800 saves percentage.
All-Time vs. Fairfield: This will be the first meeting in program history between Princeton and Fairfield.
Friends of Jaclyn:
• Join the field hockey program in recognizing the Friends of Jaclyn foundation at Friday's game, as the team honors their adopted little sister Carmela and her family at the match.
• Alex and Ani Bangle Bar will be there selling bangles with proceeds benefitting Friends of Jaclyn.
14 and Counting: Princeton has won its last 14 consecutive games entering this weekend’s action.
Dominating the League:
• In 2012 Princeton only conceded one goal throughout Ivy League play, tallying six shutout victories.
• The Tigers played 420 scoreless minutes versus conference foes, outscoring Ivy opponents 45-1.
The Captains: Seniors Kelsey Byrne, Michelle Cesan and Julia Reinprecht will serve as tri-captains in 2013.
• Bedford, a state-of-the-art turf facility, features an optimal playing surface and a built-in watering system.
• There are currently 1,572 seats, with room for additional temporary seating.
National Team News:
• Julia Reinprecht ‘14, a 2012 London Summer Olympian, competed with the U.S. Senior National Team at the World League Semifinals in London this summer.
• Michelle Cesan ‘14, a 2012 London Summer Olympics alternate, is a member of the U.S. Senior National Team.
• Teresa Benvenuti ‘16 was named to the U.S. Senior National Team this spring. She competed with the U21s at the Junior World Cup in Aug. 2013.
• Alums Katie Reinprecht ‘13 and Kathleen Sharkey ‘13 are also members of the senior national team.
• Former assistant coach Nate Franks ‘07 is on staff at USA Field Hockey.
Williamson Joins Coaching Staff:
• David Williamson joined the Tiger coaching staff as the team’s goalkeeping coach in 2013.
• He is a 2002 graduate of the University of Ulster.
• He previously worked at Monmouth, Kent State, the Irish Hockey and U.S. Field Hockey associations.