Men's Squash Advances To Hoehn Cup Semifinal With 8-1 Win Over Bates
A sweep from the trio of Dylan Ward (No. 3), Michael LeBlanc (6) and Ben Leizman (9) laid the foundation for a strong Princeton performance. The Tigers all but ended Bates’ hopes for an upset with a quick 3-0 lead, and the trio of Tyler Osborne (2), Taylor Tutrone (5) and Ash Egan (8) clinched the outright victory with a sweep of the second shift.
The third shift provided the most drama, as all three matches went to a fifth game. Both David Hoffman (4) and Sam Ezratty (7) had to overcome lost fourth games, but both came back with victories to close out 3-2 wins. Junior Samuel Kang tried to fight back from a deficit against Ahmed Abdel Khalek, but he ended up falling 3-2.
Princeton did not play Navy this season, but it did earn a 7-2 victory at Dartmouth in the middle of January. The Big Green played that match without its No. 1 player, Xander Greer, so many of the matchups could be different. The lone rematch, based on the lineups announced by both teams, would be at the No. 6 spot, where Mark Funk topped LeBlanc in three close games in the first meeting.
The semifinal will take place at 9 am on Courts 4 and 5, as well as the glass court at Harvard. The other semifinal will also take place at 9 am on Courts 1-3.
PRINCETON 8, BATES 1
1. Ahmed Abdel Khalek (B) d. Samuel Kang 3-2
2. Tyler Osborne (P) d. Ahmed Hatata 3-0
3. Dylan Ward (P) d. Kristian Muldoon 3-0
4. David Hoffman (P) d. Darrius Campbell 3-2
5. Taylor Tutrone (P) d. Nabil Saleem 3-1
6. Michael LeBlanc (P) d. Caran Arora 3-1
7. Sam Ezratty (P) d. Andy Cannon 3-2
8. Ash Egan (P) d. Jason Shrubb 3-0
9. Ben Leizman (P) d. Carlos Ames 3-0