@PtonMensTennis Stays Undefeated in Ivy, Defeats Brown 4-3
Sunday's match at Brown was undecided until the very last singles contest, but Matt Siow came through with a win and the Princeton men's tennis team stayed unbeaten in Ivy League play.
With the 4-3 win, Princeton improved to 3-0 in the league and 14-4 overall and dealt a loss to one of the three teams that entered the day undefeated in the league loss column. The other of the three teams, Harvard, will come to the Lenz Tennis Center next Saturday.
"As expected, this was a tough match," Princeton head coach Billy Pate said. "It was exceptionally windy and the conditions were not favorable for either team. I give credit to our guys and their resiliency in finding a way to get a challenging league win on the road. Siow has been a clutch performer in the past and he came through again today when our backs were against the wall. I'm very proud of Siow and the other guys for hanging in there and doing what it took. We need to have a good week of practice in preparation for Harvard and Dartmouth at home next weekend."
Princeton swept the doubles point and won two of the first three matches to be decided when Matija Pecotic and Dan Richardson picked up wins. But Brown took victories on courts two and three to make it 3-3, leaving the match to Siow on court four. Siow, who had lost the first set to Brown's Sam Fife, came back to win 6-4 and 6-3, keeping Princeton undefeated heading into the showdown with Harvard next Saturday.
The Tigers are ranked No. 51 in the nation on the Apr. 2 ITA list, one of five ranked Ivy teams along with No. 40 Columbia, No. 48 Cornell, No. 18 Harvard and No. 54 Yale. Princeton already counts a win over Yale, but three of its last four opponents are fellow ranked teams. A new list will come out Tuesday.
(51) Princeton (14-4, 3-0) 4, Brown (12-7, 1-1) 3
1. (33) McCourt/Pecotic (P) def. Hill/To (B), 8-6
2. Dan Davies/Spindler (P) def. Burke/Spector (B), 9-8
3. Augie Bloom/Siow (P) def. Fife/Riechmann (B), 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. (7) Matija Pecotic (P) def. Michael Riechmann (B), 6-2, 6-4
2. Mike Hill (B) def. Zack McCourt (P), 7-6, 6-2
3. William Spector (B) def. Matt Spindler (P), 6-1, 6-3
4. Matt Siow (P) def. Sam Fife (B), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Dan Richardson (P) def. Brandon Burke (B), 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Daniel Hirschberg (B) def. Jonathan Carcione (P), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,1,5,3,2,4