Gimme Five: Women's Fencing Continues Ivy Title Streak, Men One Win Short
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications Release: 02/09/2014
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications
The women's fencing team won their fifth straight Ivy League title.
Men: Columbia 4-1, Harvard 4-1, Penn 3-2, Princeton 3-2, Brown 1-4, Yale 0-5
Women: Princeton 6-0, Harvard 5-1, Columbia 4-2, Penn 3-3, Cornell 2-4, Brown 1-5, Yale 0-6
Alex House, freshman, epee: Most Outstanding Rookie, first-team All-Ivy; first career honor
Peter Pak, freshman, saber: second-team All-Ivy; first career honor
Michael Dudey, sophomore, foil: second-team All-Ivy; 2013 MOP/MOR, first-team in 2013
Diamond Wheeler, saber: first-team All-Ivy; won second-team in 2012 and first-team in 2013
Ambika Singh, junior, foil: first-team All-Ivy; 2012 MOP/MOR, first-team in 2012 and second-team in 2013
Anna Van Brummen, sophomore, epee: first-team All-Ivy; won first-team in 2013
Katharine Holmes, junior, epee: first-team All-Ivy; won first-team in 2012 and second-team in 2013
Desirae Major, sophomore, saber: second-team All-Ivy; first career honor
Eve Levin, senior, foil: second-team All-Ivy; won second team in 2011 and 2013
Sharon Gao, junior, foil: second-team All-Ivy; first career honor
Final Individual Totals:
Men's Saber: Peter Pak 10-5, Philip Dershwitz 7-8, Michael Wiest 3-4, Robert Stone 2-5, Jason Cai 0-1
Men's Foil: Michael Dudey 9-6, Rodney Chen 8-7, Robert Daniluk 6-7, Jeffrey Chen 1-1
Men's Epee: Alex House 11-4, Jack Hudson 7-8, Luke Politi 4-11
Women's Saber: Diamond Wheeler 16-2, Desirae Major 12-5, Gracie Stone 9-3, Arden Youngblood 4-3
Women's Foil: Ambika Singh 12-2, Eve Levin 11-4, Sharon Gao 11-4, Ashley Tsue 5-1, Elizabeth Meyers 3-1
Women's Epee: Anna Van Brummen 13-2, Katharine Holmes 15-2, Isabel Ford 5-0, Audrey Abend 7-1, Susannah Scanlan 5-4, Christina Efthimion 0-1
• Princeton's women's Ivy title is the program's fifth straight and eighth overall, all since 1999.
• Princeton's women have won 47 straight dual matches (last loss Feb. 2, 2013) and 31 straight at the Ivy League Round-Robin (last loss Feb. 22, 2009).
• The only streak as long or longer than Princeton's current five-year streak of winning Ivy titles in women's fencing belongs to Penn, which won six straight from 1983-88 before the Tigers had a varsity program.
• Princeton's men have posted three straight winning records at the Ivy Round-Robin, going 5-0 in 2012 and 3-2 each of the last two years.
• Princeton has won four of the eight men's Most Outstanding Performer and Most Outstanding Rookie since the awards began in 2011. Alexander Mills '12 was the MOP in 2011, Michael Dudey swept the two awards in 2013, and Alex House is the latest winner as the MOR.
• Princeton's women have also won four of the eight MOP/MOR honors, though Harvard saberist Adrienne Jarocki (18-0) swept the two this year. Ambika Singh swept the honors in 2012 and the Stone sisters swept in 2013, Eliza '13 winning MOP and Gracie winning MOR.