2015 Camps
Article Image
Junior Cameron Porter scored twice in Princeton's win and had two assists.
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications

Porter & Sanner Score Twice as Men's Soccer Defeats FIU 4-2

By: Princeton Athletic Communications
          Release: 09/27/2013
Print RSS

Box Score

PRINCETON, N.J. (9/27/13) - Junior Cameron Porter and sophomore Thomas Sanner each scored two goals apiece to lead the Princeton men's soccer team to a 4-2 victory over Florida International on Friday, Sept. 27 on Myslik Field at Robert Stadium.

Porter had a career night, finishing the game with six points as he assisted on both of Sanner's goals in addition to scoring his own two.

It was a rough start for the Tigers who took a 1-0 lead despite being outshot 11-3.

"For the first half FIU was all over us," Princeton head coach Jim Barlow said. "That was the best half against us any team has put on the field and we found a way to survive with a lead. When we were really up against a lot of pressure we didn't buckle. We came so close to giving away a goal but we sustained the pressure and were able to turn it around in the second half. I thought the start of the second half was really good. The second goal was really important and I thought after we got that we settled in and had a really good second half."

The Tigers scored twice in the first seven minutes of the second half and added the fourth in the 72nd minute. FIU scored its two goals in the game's final four minutes.

Senior Billy McGuinness got the offense started out on the right foot in the 23rd minute when he cleared the ball to the midfield where it was collected by sophomore Brendan McSherry. McSherry sent a perfect through ball to Porter who finished off the goal.

Princeton took a 3-0 lead with goals in the 51st and 53rd minutes. On the team's second goal, senior Chris Benedict fought for the ball in front of the Princeton bench and was able to push it ahead to Porter near the corner flag. Porter saw Sanner open in front of the goal and dished it off to Sanner who one-timed it past keeper Daniel Mion.

It was a near identical play two minutes later when Porter came in on the right side and but this time released a shot that was stopped by Mion. The rebound came out to the feet of Sanner and he knocked it in.

Sophomore Andrew Doar helped set up the Tigers' fourth goal in the 72nd minute when he crossed the ball to the right side for Porter. Porter dribbled by his defender and fired through traffic and into the far corner.

Subsitutions would come fast and furious in the next 10 minutes as senior Andrew Menendez, junior Samuel Suskind, sophomore John Kendall, and freshmen Patrick Barba, Vikram Pothuri, and Mark Romanowski all saw action on the pitch for the first time this season.

FIU was able to break the potentional shutout with a goal in the 88th minute when Nicholas Midttun found Luis Betancur for the goal just five minutes after he had checked into the game. Quentin Albrecht who led his team with seven shots assisted on the final goal with 9.9 seconds left as he passed to Roberto Alterio who had a header for the score.

The Panthers had a 15-14 lead in shots after an 11-4 edge by the Tigers in the second half. Both teams took two corner kicks apiece.

Mion finished the game with three saves and is now 1-1 on the season.

Senior Seth MacMillan made four stops as he and the Tigers improve to 2-4 on the season.

Princeton hosts FGCU on Sunday, Sept. 29 in an ESPNU game at 4:05 p.m. The first fans in the door will receive a Princeton Tiger soccer bobblehead, courtest of Princeton Dining Services.s







Hyatt New
Nissan Schedule
> Full Schedule and Results
No Events in the Near Future