2015 Camps
Article Image
Junior Andrew Calof had a two-point game for the Tigers.
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications

Men's Hockey Season Comes to an End in a 4-2 Loss to Cornell

By: Princeton Athletic Communications
          Release: 03/09/2013
Print RSS

Box Score

PRINCETON, N.J. (3/9/13) - The Princeton men's hockey season came to an end on Saturday, March 9 at Hobey Baker Rink as Cornell won a 4-2 game and took the ECAC Hockey Tournament First-Round series 2-0.

Cornell's Nick D'Agostino scored a pair of goals in the first six minutes of the third period that would give the Big Red a 3-1 lead. Princeton didn't give up and fought to get back in the game.

A goal by junior Alec Rush was called back after a goal review. The officials claimed there was a high stick and waved the goal off that would have made it a one-goal game at with 9:27 remaining. Princeton had a chance to get back in with a power-play opportunity at 12:22 but the Tigers failed to put a shot on frame. With 1:30 left senior netmnder Mike Condon skated to the bench in favor of the extra-attacker. Junior Andrew Calof scored with the extra man at with 45 seconds remaining as he one-timed as pass from junior Matt Farris who collected the puck at the right point and fed Calof at the far post.

Condon remained on the bench as the Tigers battled to get the game-tying goal in the final 45 seconds of the game. A hard pass banged off the left boards and deflected down the left flank and Joel Lowry turned on the wheels and skated down to grab it in the circle and fire it into the empty net with 13 ticks left on the clock.

Cornell advances to the quarterfinals series and will face either No. 1 Quinnipiac or No. 2 Rensselaer depending on the outcome of the Harvard/Dartmouth series, which will be decided in game three.

Andy Iles made 20 saves for Cornell as it improves to 14-14-3 overall with a 6-1-1 run in its last eight games.

The Tigers got on the board first with the only goal of the first period. Senior Will MacDonald scored a power-play goal at 12:26 with help from Calof and freshman Michael Ambrosia.  Ambrosia sent a cross-ice pass to Calof who saw MacDonald positioned on the doorstep and slipped the puck across the slot for the senior to knock it home.

Brian Ferlin knotted the game at 1-1 at 3:01 of the second when he got a pass from Reece Wilcox as he skated behind the cage and put the puck in play out front and Ferlin was there for the goal as the teams ended the second in a 1-1 tie.

The first period was a battle with both teams generating quality scoring opportunities. Princeton took control in the later half of the period, as Cornell did not have a single shot on goal after the Willcox penalty at 10:33. The Big Red came out fired up in the second period and used six minutes of power-play time to build on their momentum. Princeton held Cornell 0 for 3 on those chances but the Big Red finished the second period with the tying goal and an 18-6 differential in shots.

D'Agostino scored 1:32 in the third period and added a power-play goal at 5:57, which was reviewed by the officials to see if it was kicked it and it was not.

Princeton was 1 for 3 on the power play and held Cornell to 1 for 4.

Condon made 29 saves in his final game as Tiger as the Big Red outshot the Tigers 33-22.

Princeton ends its season with a 10-16-5 overall record.









Hyatt New
Nissan Schedule
> Full Schedule and Results
No Events in the Near Future