@PtonMensTennis Wins Ivy Opener, Defeats Penn 4-3
Winning the doubles point and the first three singles matches to be decided Saturday afternoon at the Lenz Tennis Center, the Princeton men's tennis team opened Ivy League play with a 4-3 win over Penn.
"We played a strong doubles point and certainly jumped out to a good start by getting that point but we somewhat bogged down at the start of singles," Princeton head coach Billy Pate said. "It took us a while to seize momemtum and all of the first sets were extremely tense. We clearly didn't play as sharp in certain spots as we would've liked but it's good to be successful with the first win in conference play. But I was exceptionally pleased with the play of Matt Spindler and Jonathan Carcione today as I felt they won pivotal matches for us today. It was nice to see a good home crowd enjoying the pleasant conditions and supporting our guys. We'll look forward to getting back to work this week in preparation for our road trip to Yale and Brown next weekend."
Matija Pecotic and Matt Spindler won in both doubles and singles. The two seniors had the first two singles matches to be decided, giving the Tigers a 3-0 lead before freshman Jonathan Carcione had the clincher on court six. Penn made it a closer finish with the last three singles matches.
The Tigers will visit Yale and Brown next Saturday and Sunday. Princeton and Yale are both ranked by the ITA, Princeton at No. 52 and Yale at No. 56, with new rankings set to come out Tuesday.
(52) Princeton (12-4, 1-0) 4, Penn (8-6, 0-1) 3
1. (33) McCourt/Pecotic (Prin) def. Kocovic/Mark Milbrandt (Penn), 8-2
2. Dan Davies/Spindler (Prin) def. Katz/Austin Kaplan (Penn), 8-5
3. Bloom/Matt Siow (Prin) def. Court/Kyle Roth (Penn), 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. (7) Matija Pecotic (Prin) def. Nikola Kocovic (Penn), 6-3, 6-4
2. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Zack McCourt (Prin), 7-6, 6-4
3. Matt Spindler (Prin) def. Ismael Lahlou (Penn), 7-6, 6-0
4. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Augie Bloom (Prin), 6-4, 6-3
5. Zach Katz (Penn) def. Dan Richardson (Prin), 7-6, 0-6, 6-4
6. Jonathan Carcione (Prin) def. Vim De Alwis (Penn), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,6,4,2,5