No. 3 Duke Defeats Women's Tennis
With four nationally ranked singles players, No. 3 Duke got past the Princeton women's tennis team 7-0 Saturday afternoon in Durham, N.C.
All four of Duke's ranked singles players won as the Blue Devils swept the six matches. Princeton picked up an 8-5 win at third doubles by Amanda Muliawan and Katherine Flanigan, but Duke clinched the afternoon's first point with a win at second doubles.
Twice, Princeton players forced tiebreaks in their singles matches, but Duke took both of those sets. Lindsay Graff played a close match with 45th-ranked Ester Goldfield at the top of the ladder, losing 7-5, 7-6(1), while Duke's Hanna Mar prevailed in rhe only battle of nationally-ranked players, the 14th-ranked Blue Devil defeating No. 85 Muliawan 6-2, 6-4.
Princeton will hit the court again for a two-match trip to Colorado next weekend, facing Colorado at 1 p.m. ET Saturday and Denver at 11 a.m. ET Sunday.
(3) Duke (8-1) 7, (70) Princeton (4-2) 0
1. (7) Clayton/Goldfield (D) def. Joan Cannon/Goepel (P), 8-5
2. Mar/Turewicz (D) def. Chow/Graff (P), 8-6
3. Flanigan/Muliawan (P) def. Jodoin/Mulholland (D), 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. (45) Ester Goldfield (D) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 7-5, 7-6(1)
2. (14) Hanna Mar (D) def. (85) Amanda Muliawan (P), 6-2, 6-4
3. Monica Turewicz (D) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 6-2, 6-2
4. (64) Mary Clayton (D) def. Monica Chow (P), 6-0, 6-3
5. (102) Marianne Jodoin (D) def. Katie Goepel (P), 7-6(6), 6-1
6. Annie Mulholland (D) def. Emily Hahn (P), 6-4, 6-1