2015 Camps
Article Image
Junior Tyler Maugeri battles for the puck against Clarkson's Sinz.
Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications

Ammon Scores Twice as Men's Hockey Falls 4-3 to No. 14 Clarkson

By: Princeton Athletic Communications
          Release: 02/08/2014
Print RSS

Box Score

PRINCETON, N.J. (2/8/14) - Senior Andrew Ammon scored twice and freshman Hayden Anderson scored his first collegiate goal as Princeton men's hockey lost 4-3 to No. 14 Clarkson before a standing-room only crowd at Hobey Baker Rink.

Clarkson (17-11-2, 10-6 ECAC) converted on its first power-play opportunity 2:27 into the game. Allan McPherson came speeding down side and was checked into the half wall but not before dropping the puck to Ben Sexton. Sexton skated into the slot and hit the right pad of goaltender Sean Bonar and popped out to Jeff DiNallo who had a clean look on the right side.

It took just seven seconds off the opening draw of the second period for Clarkson to get its second goal. The goal came on a delayed penalty with Jarrett Burton scoring on a pass from A.J. Fossen.

Following a shot saved by Bonar, defender Alec Rush collected the puck sent the puck through the neutral zone to Ryan Siiro along the boards. Siiro found senior Andrew Calof cutting between two defenders and Calof hit his trailer, Ammon on the opposite side for the snipe making it a one-goal game, 2-1, at 7:21.

A power-play goal by Ammon again with help from Calof and Rush tied the game at 13:54. Ammon initial had a shot ring off the right post and Calof collected the rebound behind the goal and circled around to the right wing sending the puck across the ice to Ammon for the one-timer past the glove of Steve Perry.

Three minutes later Clarkson regained the lead on a James Howdon goal. Howdon found a loose puck on a failed wraparound by Mike Garlasco and slipped put the puck five-hole.

The Tigers thought they had tied it up with 11 seconds remaining but after video review the officials waved off the goal, giving the Green & Gold a 3-2 lead at the intermission.

A turnover by Princeton in its own zone led to Allan McPherson making it a two-goal game. McPherson got the puck at the top of the right circle and surprised Bonar with a quick wrister into the opposite side of the goal.

The Tigers had an uphill battle to get back in it after Siiro was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct just three minutes later. Princeton did a great job killing off the penalty and with 51 seconds left scored a goal of its own.

Anderson scored his first career goal, shorthanded, at 13:07 to make it a 4-3 game. Calof won the draw back to Quin Pompi and Pompi sent the puck across the blue line to Anderson. Anderson shot past two defenders and over the glove of Perry.

Princeton pulled goaltender Sean Bonar with 1:25 to play in favor of the extra attacker. Trying to force overtime, the Tigers had two shots saved and two shots blocked before time ran out.

Bonar left the game with 28 saves and Perry finished with 34, with Princeton outshooting Clarkson 37-32 in the game.

Princeton was 1 for 4 on the power play, while Clarkson was 1 for 5.

The Tigers, now 4-19 on the season and 3-13 in the league, travel to face Brown and Yale next weekend, Feb. 14 & 15.







Hyatt New
Nissan Schedule
> Full Schedule and Results
No Events in the Near Future