Now 2-0 in Ivy, @PtonMensTennis Defeats Yale 5-2
Winning their first two Ivy League matches for the fourth straight year, the Princeton men's tennis team defeated Yale 5-2 Saturday afternoon in New Haven.
"It was a great team effort getting a tough win on the road against a very experienced Yale squad," Princeton head coach Billy Pate said. "We played exceptionally well in doubles and as it does many times, it set a tone for singles. Matija did a great job of jumping on his opponent and getting us an additional edge. After that, it was very close and there were some matches that could've gone either way. We need to refocus and prepare for a tough Brown team in Providence tomorrow."
Princeton won the doubles point and got singles victories from Matija Pecotic, Matt Spindler, Dan Richardson and Jonathan Carcione to complete the win. Pecotic was the only Tiger to both play and win in both singles and doubles.
Princeton has been able to extend its start to 3-0 in each of the last three Ivy seasons, including a 6-0 start in 2011. Sunday's match at Brown will start at 2 p.m.
(51) Princeton (13-4, 2-0) 5, (54) Yale (14-4, 0-1) 2
1. (33) McCourt/Pecotic (P) def. (74) Hoffman/Powers (Y), 8-4
2. Dan Davies/Spindler (P) vs. Patrick Chase/Huang (Y), DNF
3. Augie Bloom/Siow (P) def. Brown/Svenning (Y), 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1
1. (7) Matija Pecotic (P) def. John Huang (Y), 6-0, 6-4
2. Marc Powers (Y) def. Zack McCourt (P), 6-2, 6-3
3. Matt Spindler (P) def. Daniel Hoffman (Y), 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
4. Martin Svenning (Y) def. Matt Siow (P), 7-5, 7-5
5. Dan Richardson (P) def. Jason Brown (Y), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jonathan Carcione (P) def. Zachary Dean (Y), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,6,5,4,3