Keeping its Ivy League title hopes alive, the 48th-ranked Princeton men's tennis team defeated No. 51 Cornell 5-2 Friday afternoon in Ithaca and will head home for Senior Day Sunday against Columbia.
"It was another great team effort on the road against a tough opponent," Princeton head coach Billy Pate said. "Once again, we set a positive tone with doubles and I credit (Dan) Davies and (Matt) Spindler for leading the charge. We'll have a good practice tomorrow and prepare for the regular-season finale at home against Columbia on Sunday. We encourage a great home crowd to honor our four outstanding seniors between the doubles and singles."
Sunday's match will begin at 2 p.m. and will be the final Ivy matches for the senior class that includes Michael Lin, Matija Pecotic, Matt Siow and Matt Spindler.
Princeton won the first two doubles matches to be decided to claim the point there, and Dan Richardson, Jonathan Carcione and Pecotic had the singles wins that got Princeton to four points.
Pecotic's win was his 21st consecutive Ivy League singles victory as he moves within one win of concluding a third straight league-undefeated season.
As for the Ivy League race, much remains undecided. The Tigers are still alive for a share of the title, but Harvard must lose at least one of its final three matches for Princeton to get a share. The Crimson, who still have to play Brown, Yale and Dartmouth, had their match Friday against Brown postponed and are scheduled to play at Yale Sunday.
(48) Princeton (16-5, 5-1) 5, (51) Cornell (12-8, 2-4) 2
1. (85) McCourt/Pecotic (P) def. Iyer/Sidney (C), 8-5
2. Dan Davies/Spindler (P) def. Nguyen/Luu (C), 8-3
3. Augie Bloom/Siow (P) vs. Berman/Fleck (C), unfinished
Order of finish: 2,1
1. (7) Matija Pecotic (P) def. Venkat Iyer (C), 6-3, 7-6
2. Sam Fleck (C) def. Matt Spindler (P), 7-5, 6-1
3. Alex Sidney (C) def. Zack McCourt (P), 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Dan Richardson (P) def. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (C), 6-2, 6-4
5. Matt Siow (P) def. Jason Luu (C), 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Jonathan Carcione (P) def. Kyle Berman (C), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,6,2,1,3,5