BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The 40th-ranked Princeton women's fencing team fell 4-3 to No. 57 SMU Sunday in the team's final match at the Blue-Gray National Tennis Classic in Alabama.
Princeton won the doubles point but saw the Mustangs win four of the six singles matches to overcome the early setback and win the overall match. SMU prevailed on courts one through four, including on court three where Princeton suffered a setback when Rachel Saiontz had to retire in just the second game of the match. Elena Fayner's win at second singles was the clincher for SMU.
The teams will meet again Sunday on Princeton's second leg of a two-match swing through the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex next weekend.
(57) SMU (1-6) 4, (40) Princeton (5-5) 3
1. Cieplucha/Steinbauer (S) def. (35) Bartlett/Graff (P), 8-5
2. (49) Goepel/Saiontz (P) def. Fayner/Turpin (S), 8-5
3. Cannon/Chow (P) def. Anderson/Roberts (S), 8-2
1. Edyta Cieplucha (S) def. (84) Hilary Bartlett (P), 6-2, 6-2
2. Elena Fayner (S) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Heather Steinbauer (S) def. Rachel Saiontz (P), 0-1 (ret.)
4. Ashley Turpin (S) def. Katie Goepel (P), 6-1, 6-2
5. Monica Chow (P) def. Kris Roberts (S), 6-2, 6-1
6. Joan Cannon (P) def. Perri Anderson (S), 6-1, 6-0