Taking care of its first of three road matches during the Ivy League season, the Princeton women's tennis team won 6-1 at Penn Saturday afternoon to open the league season.
The Tigers, ranked No. 65 in the nation, will host Yale next Saturday and Brown next Sunday in their Ivy home openers. The Bulldogs are ranked No. 36 in the nation in this week's rankings, and a new chart will be out next Tuesday.
"This being our first Ivy match of the season, we are really proud in how every singel person on this team stepped up and took ownership of their spots today," Princeton head coach Laura Granville said.
Princeton opened by winning the doubles point and came within one point of clinching the match with singles victories from Lindsay Graff and Joan Cannon. A Penn win at third singles for Sonya Latycheva delayed the clincher momentarily, but Emily Hahn had Princeton's fourth point of the afternoon.
Katherine Flanigan, Graff and Katie Goepel were wins in both singles and doubles against the Quakers.
(65) Princeton (9-4, 1-0) 6, Penn (8-4, 0-1) 1
1. (32) Eskenazi/Latycheva (Penn) def. Cannon/Hahn (Prin), 8-5
2. Flanigan/Graff (Prin) def. Jania/Jaime Yapp-Shing (Penn), 8-6
3. Chow/Goepel (Prin) def. Do/Ion (Penn), 9-7
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Lindsay Graff (Prin) def. Sol Eskenazi (Penn), 6-2, 6-0
2. Katherine Flanigan (Prin) def. Stephanie Do (Penn), 6-3, 6-2
3. Sonya Latycheva (Penn) def. Monica Chow (Prin), 6-2, 6-3
4. Katie Goepel (Prin) def. Alex Ion (Penn), 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(6)
5. Emily Hahn (Prin) def. Katherine Jania (Penn), 6-2, 6-4
6. Joan Cannon (Prin) def. Emma Whitfield (Penn), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,6,3,5,2,4