No. 9 Women’s Water Polo to Open Southern Division Play This Weekend
The No. 9 Princeton women’s water polo team will return to the East Coast to open CWPA Southern Division play this weekend. The Tigers will head to Erie, Pa. on Saturday, Mar. 29 to face Mercyhurst at 11 a.m. and Bucknell at 3 p.m.
Last Time Out:
• Princeton (21-1) swept the LMU Zumo Invite last weekend, outscoring opponents 55-12.
• Highlighting the tournament was a dominating victory over then-No. 8 Loyola Marymount, 9-3.
On Deck: The Tigers will head to Lewisburg, Pa. to face Brown and Harvard on Saturday, Apr. 5.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.co/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• To connect with the water polo program, follow the Tigers on Facebook.com/PrincetonWaterPolo and Twitter via @Pwaterpolo.
• The Tigers move up a place to No. 9 in the Varsity Top 20 Poll with 59 points.
• The Orange and Black also maintains its stance as the top-ranked team in the CWPA Top 10 with 98 points.
Versus Ranked Teams: Princeton is 7-1 versus teams ranked in the national top-20.
• Princeton currently is outscoring opponents 254-132.
• The Tigers have boasted 20 or more win seasons the last three years.
• Mercyhurst (9-6) is coming off wins over Gannon and Notre Dame College last weekend.
• Cailin Jope leads the field with 34 goals, 27 steals, 10 assists and four blocks.
• Goalie Jesse Sworden (6-5) has played in 13 games, tallying 103 saves, 27 steals and has 83 goals against.
All-Time versus Mercyhurst: Princeton owns the all-time series versus Mercyhurst 5-0.
• Bucknell (7-9) snapped its four-game losing skid with an 11-8 win at Cal Lutheran at the Aztec Invite on Mar. 16.
• The Bison are led by Hannah Sunday and Julianne Valdes’ team-leading 19 goals. Eleanor Marrs leads the team in points (37) with 22 assists and 15 goals.
• Rena Heim has started 16 games in goal, posting a .484 saves percentage, 119 saves and has 127 goals against.
All-Time versus Bucknell: Princeton owns the all-time series versus Bucknell 36-7.