Women's Tennis Wins First of Two Matches in Colorado
Winning its first of two matches in Colorado, the Princeton women's tennis team defeated the University of Colorado 4-3 Saturday evening in Boulder.
The Tigers improve to 5-2 on the season with the win and will face the University of Denver at noon ET Sunday.
"We're really proud with how we faced adversity today, with the high altitude and playing on three courts (indoors)," Princeton assistant coach Sadhaf Fath said. "The girls really competed hard and never went away in this match. They put their briefcases down today and went to work."
Princeton took the doubles point with Amanda Muliawan and Lindsay Graff providing the clincher at second doubles, but Colorado won the first two singles matches to be decided. Amanda Muliawan, the 112th-ranked singles player in the nation, took a three-set match to make it 2-2, and Monica Chow followed that with a win at fourth singles to put Princeton one match away from a victory.
That win was stalled when Colorado's Mazy Watrous took a three-set match from Emily Hahn at sixth singles, but Katie Goepel delivered the win at fifth singles. She rebounded from losing the first set 6-4 to win the next two sets 7-5 and 6-2, clinching the team victory.
(73) Princeton (5-2) 4, Colorado (5-5) 3
1. Sanders/Steur (C) def. Joan Cannon/Hahn (P), 7-7 (DNF)
2. Graff/Muliawan (P) def. Janssens/Tenorio (C), 8-3
3. Chow/Goepel (P) def. Mattison Sperry/Quevedo (C), 8-7(6)
Order of finish: 3,2
1. Julyette Steur (C) def. Lindsay Graff (P), 6-4, 6-3
2. (112) Amanda Muliawan (P) def. Winde Janssens (C), 7-6(6), 0-6, 7-5
3. Dhany Quevedo (C) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Monica Chow (P) def. Erin Sanders (C), 6-1, 6-4
5. Katie Goepel (P) def. Carla Manzi Tenorio (C), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Mazy Watrous (C) def. Emily Hahn (P), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,3,2,4,6,5