Cornell Defeats Men's Tennis in Season Finale, 4-3
PRINCETON -- The men's tennis teams from Cornell and Princeton took their match inside on a rainy Sunday in Princeton, and the Big Red won the singles battle to claim the match, 4-3.
Junior Matija Pecotic, the 121st-ranked player in the nation by the ITA, ended his season with a 15-match Ivy League win streak that dates to the season finale of his freshman year. Pecotic won all seven of his Ivy matches this season in straight sets, including a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Cornell's Venkat Iyer this afternoon.
Princeton swept the doubles point but fell one singles match short of taking the team win, with Pecotic and freshman Zack McCourt winning their singles matches.
Cornell (10-15, 3-4) 4, Princeton (12-12, 3-4) 3
1. Pecotic/Spindler (P) def Iyer/Sidney 8-6
2. Yohei Shoji/Matt Siow (P) def. Fleck/Riggs (C), 9-8
3. Bloom/Ben Quazzo (P) def. Nguyen/Luu (C), 9-7
1. (121) Matija Pecotic (P) def. Venkat Iyer (C), 6-1, 6-4
2. Sam Fleck (C) def. Matt Spindler (P), 7-6, 6-1
3. Danny Riggs (C) def. Augie Bloom (P), 6-4, 7-6
4. Jason Luu (C) def. Dan Richardson (P), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Zack McCourt (P) def. Alex Sidney (C), 6-3, 6-1
6. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (C) def. Dan Davies (P), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1