Top-Seeded Menís Water Polo Looks to Extend Winning Ways at Southerns
The top-seeded Princeton men’s water polo team will look to extend its winning ways in Southern Division play at this weekend’s Southern Division Championship at Navy from Nov. 8-10 in Annapolis, Md. The 13th-ranked Tigers (17-4, 6-1 Southern) open in the quarterfinals on Saturday at 9 a.m. versus the winner of the Gannon – Notre Dame College game. Admission is free for the weekend tournament.
Last Time Out:
• The Tigers have enjoyed a week off in play to prepare for Southerns this weekend.
• Prior to their break, the squad topped three final opponents to close out the home schedule with a perfect 9-0 record.
• Princeton handedly defeated George Washington, 17-7, on Oct. 25, followed by wins over Fordham, 11-6, and Iona, 13-9, the next day.
• The CWPA Championship, formerly the Eastern Championship, will run from Nov. 22-24 at Brown in Providence, R.I.
• The tournament expands to a 12-team format with the winner advancing to the newly formed NCAA Play-In Game on Wednesday, Dec. 4.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.com/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• Connect with the Tiger water polo program at Facebook.com/PrincetonWaterPolo and Twitter.com/PWaterPolo.
Southern Division Title:
• The Tigers captured the regular season Southern Division-East title behind their 6-1 record.
• The Tigers have won seven Southern Division Championship tournament titles in program history, last winning it in back-to-back years in 2010 and 2011.
• Princeton heads to Southerns led by the offensive tandem of Jovan Jeremic and Drew Hoffenberg.
• Freshman Jeremic has a team-high 52 goals, while adding 12 steals and four assists.
• Jeremic has scored three goals or more in the last four games, including a game-high six versus Fordham on Oct. 26.
• Two-time All-America junior Hoffenberg has 51 goals, along with 29 assists, a team-high, and 32 steals.
Nelson’s Scoring Streak:
• Sophomore Thomas Nelson has scored at least one goal in the last eight games, tallying multi-goal efforts in four games during that span.
• He has scored 33 goals, made 38 steals, 14 assists and nine blocks over 21 games.
Another Streak to Track: The Tigers are riding a four-game winning streak entering this weekend’s action.
Trending Now: Princeton is outscoring opponents 232-189 on the year.
• Gannon enters Southerns sporting a 9-7, 4-2 Southern record.
• The Golden Knights are led by Raz Yuval’s 63 goals, while goalie Danny Schneider has 119 saves and 136 goals allowed as the team’s primary goaltender.
• Notre Dame College enters the divisional tournament with a 10-13, 4-2 Southern record.
• Gannon owns the season series versus NDC, 2-1, most recently earning a 16-11 win on Oct. 26.