No. 12 Menís Water Polo to Host JHU and Navy, Travel to Bucknell
The 12th-ranked Princeton men’s water polo team is set to open the second round of Southern Division play this weekend. The Tigers (11-3, 4-0 Southern) kick off with Johns Hopkins and Navy on Saturday, Oct. 12 at DeNunzio Pool, followed by a meeting with Bucknell in Lewisburg, Pa. the next day.
Saturday, Oct. 12 • Johns Hopkins • 2 p.m.
Satuday, Oct. 12 • Navy • 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 13 • Bucknell • 3 p.m.
Last Time Out:
• Coming off their 10-game road swing, the Tigers' return home concluded with a 14-9 win over Bucknell on Oct. 6.
• Kurt Buchbinder and Jovan Jeremic led the offense with three goals apiece, while Jamie Kuprenas had three assists and a steal.
• Goalie Ben Dearborn tallied 10 saves and a shutout quarter, allowing only four goals against in three quarters of work.
Follow the Tigers: Live video will be available for all Princeton home games at GoPrincetonTigers.com.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.com/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• Connect with the Tiger water polo program at Facebook.com/PrincetonWaterPolo and Twitter.com/PWaterPolo.
The National Scene:
• The Tigers move up a spot from No. 13 to 12 in the national top-20 poll.
• Princeton has ranked no lower than No. 14 this season, going as high as No. 11.
Outscoring Trend Continues:
• Princeton currently is outscoring opponents 146-129.
• Four Tigers have scored 20 or more goals, with Drew Hoffenberg and Jovan Jeremic’s 36 and 27, respectively headlining the attack.
• The Tigers have made 85 assists over the first 14 games.
• Along with leading the scoring game, Drew Hoffenberg has a team-best 18 assists.
• Jamie Kuprenas (15) and Kurt Buchbinder (12) also serve as assist leaders for Princeton.
• Over the last three games, Kuprenas has dished three assists in each.
Scouting RV Johns Hopkins:
• Johns Hopkins (12-4, 2-2 Southern) is coming off a 3-1 weekend in Southern California and currently is receiving votes towards a national ranking.
• Three JHU players have scored 30 or more goals, with Thomas de Lyon and Matt Fraser’s 36 apiece leading offense.
• Erik Henrickson is the team’s primary goalie, tallying 100 saves and 108 goals against over 42.5 quarters played.
• The Tigers own the all-time series versus Johns Hopkins, 35-4. In the last meeting, Princeton topped the Blue Jays, 15-10, on Sept. 21 in Baltimore, Md.
• Navy (9-12, 0-4 Southern) snapped its 10-game losing streak with a 16-9 win over Cerritos College on Sept. 29, since then the Midshipmen have not played a game in nearly two weeks.
• Carl Dowzicky headlines the offense with 37 goals.
• Garrett Sabesky has played 15 games to lead the seven-player goalie rotation. He has 121 saves, 134 goals against and a .475 save percentage.
• Navy owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 34-23. In their meeting on Sept. 21 in Annapolis, Md., the Tigers defeated the Midshipmen 12-7.
• Bucknell (6-4, 1-3 Southern) enters this weekend’s action riding a three-game losing skid.
• The Bison will host Navy, George Washington and Johns Hopkins before playing the Tigers.
• The Bucknell offense is led by Jack Else’s 24 and Julian Colina’s 21 goals.
• Keegan Williams has started all 10 games, tallying 89 saves, 97 goals against and a .478 saves percentage.
• The Tigers own the all-time series versus the Bison, 39-13. Princeton earned a 14-9 victory over Bucknell in the first meeting this year on Oct. 6 at DeNunzio Pool.
On Deck: Princeton will head to Philadelphia, Pa. for the Penn-hosted Ivy League Championship on Sunday, Oct. 20.