NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- No. 27 Yale picked up a 4-3 win over the 69th-ranked Princeton women's tennis team Saturday afternoon in New Haven.
The victory boosted the Bulldogs to 2-0 in the Ivy League while Princeton fell to 1-2.
Yale took the doubles point before the teams dueled in back-and-forth singles action. The Bulldogs took a 2-0 lead with Vicky Brook's win over Monica Chow at fifth singles, but Lindsay Graff had Princeton's first win at second singles over Hanna Yu to pull the Tigers within 2-1.
The teams again traded singles wins, Blair Seideman's victory at third singles over Rachel Saiontz putting the Bulldogs ahead 3-1 before Katherine Flanigan's win at fourth over Stephanie Kent made it 3-2.
Princeton needed to win the last two matches on court, but got only one. Katie Goepel made it a 3-3 tie when she beat Yale's Annie Sullivan at sixth, but the Bulldogs stayed undefeated in Ivy play when Elizabeth Epstein outdueled Hilary Bartlett in three sets on court one.
Princeton will return home to face Dartmouth and Harvard next weekend as Ivy League play continues.
(27) Yale (14-3, 2-0) 4, (69) Princeton (8-10, 1-2) 3
1. Brook/Li (Y) def. (29) Bartlett/Graff (P), 8-6
2. (61) Epstein/Sullivan (Y) def. Goepel/Saiontz (P), 8-2
3. Kent/Seideman (Y) def. Chow/Flanigan (P), 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Elizabeth Epstein (Y) def. (96) Hilary Bartlett (P), 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Lindsay Graff (P) def. Hanna Yu (Y), 6-0, 6-1
3. Blair Seideman (Y) def. Rachel Saiontz (P), 6-1, 6-1
4. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. Stephanie Kent (Y), 6-2, 6-3
5. Vicky Brook (Y) def. Monica Chow (P), 6-0, 6-1
6. Katie Goepel (P) def. Annie Sullivan (Y), 7-6(5), 7-5
Order of finish: 5,2,3,4,6,1