Capping Spring Trip, @PtonMensTennis Defeats UC Irvine 6-1
It's all Ivy from here on out for the Princeton men's tennis team, who won two out of three on their spring trip to California that closed with a 6-1 victory over UC Irvine Saturday afternoon in Coto de Caza, Calif.
"We're very pleased to end the road trip on a positive note with a solid win today," Princeton head coach Billy Pate said. "We started a bit slow in doubles but picked it up in singles. I'm very satisfied with where we are at this point heading into a new phase of our season with conference play. We'll give the guys a bit of rest and then get right back to work in preparation for Penn Saturday."
Matija Pecotic and Zack McCourt won in both doubles and singles as seven Tigers helped contribute to the team's six points. Princeton opened the trip with a 4-3 win over No. 45 Cal Poly and got a 13-spot bump in the rankings to No. 43. The Tigers then hung with No. 11 Pepperdine before losing 5-2.
Ivy play will hold similar rigors for the Tigers, who will host Penn at 2 p.m. next Saturday. Five of the eight Ivy teams, including Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton and Yale, are ranked between 23-51 on the latest ITA list, announced Mar. 19.
(43) Princeton (11-4) 6, UC Irvine (3-15) 1
1. (32) McCourt/Pecotic (P) def. Cheung/Hammel (I), 8-2
2. Pham/Poon (I) def. Davies/Spindler (P), 9-7
3. Augie Bloom/Matt Siow (P) def. Agbayani/Jung (I), 9-8(4)
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. (4) Matija Pecotic (P) def. Ryan Cheung (I), 6-2, 6-2
2. Zack McCourt (P) def. Jacob Jung (I), 6-2, 6-2
3. Matt Spindler (P) def. Tyler Pham (I), 6-4, 6-4
4. Dan Richardson (P) def. Jonathan Hammel (I), 6-2, 6-4
5. Jonathan Poon (I) def. Dan Davies (P), 6-0, 6-3
6. Jonathan Carcione (P) def. Justin Agbayani (I), 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,4,2,5,3,6