Trinity Tops Men's Squash 6-3; Princeton Will Hope For Rematch Next Week
Princeton won one match in each of the three shifts, with each coming on the main court. Sophomore Tyler Osborne won in three over Miled Zarazua at the No. 3 spot in a rematch of their championship final last year; Osborne had been 1-8 prior to that match, but his 3-0 win in the 2012 final was a key to Princeton's upset of Trinity.
He is now 3-8 after controlling play in an 11-5, 11-5, 11-4 win. Princeton freshman Michael LeBlanc fought hard to pull a win at No. 9, but his 11-8 loss in the fifth to Matthew Mackin, combined by a Trinity win at No. 6, opened a 2-1 Bantams lead.
Sophomore Samuel Kang fought out of a 1-0 deficit at No. 2 and was dominant by the end of his 3-1 victory over Juan Vargas. Trinity picked up two more wins during the shift, including a 3-1 win for Vrishab Kotian over Steve Harrington at the No. 5 spot. Sophomore David Hoffman stayed close with Moustafa Hamada in three games at No. 8, but each went Trinity's way by an 11-7 score.
That left Trinity only one win away, and it got it at the No. 7 spot, as Zeyad Elshorfy defeated Vivek Dinodia in thee games. Princeton split the final two matches, with Todd Harrity winning his final match at Jadwin in three, and Dylan Ward fighting out of a 2-0 deficit before eventually falling 3-2 to Karan Malik.
Check back this week for a full preview of the CSA team championships.
Trinity 6, Princeton 3
1) Todd Harrity (P) d. Reinhold Hergeth 6,5,2
2) Samuel Kang (P) d. Juan Vargas (7),6,8,2
3) Tyler Osborne (P) d. Miled Zarazua 5,5,4
4) Karan Malik (T) d. Dylan Ward 10,4,(7),(2),7
5) Vrishab Kotian (T) d. Steve Harrington 4,(4),4,2
6) Johan Detter (T) d. Taylor Tutrone 1,5,4
7) Zeyad Elshorfy (T) d. Vivek Dinodia 8,7,1
8) Moustafa Hamada (T) d. David Hoffman 7,7,7
9) Matthew Mackin (T) d. Michael LeBlanc 5,(8),6,8