Women's Lacrosse Earns At-Large Bid To NCAA Tournament
INDIANAPOLIS (5/4/14) - The Princeton women's lacrosse team will play Penn State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, as the Tigers earned one of 13 an at-large bids it was announced by the selection committee this evening.
The game will take place on Friday, May 9 at Klöckner Stadium at the University of Virginia at 4 p.m.. The winner will play Virginia, the No. 6 seed on Sunday, May 11 at 4p.m. Note that on Sunday UVa men will host Johns Hopkins at 1 p.m.
Princeton and Penn State faced each other just last week, with the Nittany Lions winning 13-12 on their home turf. The Tigers defeated then-ranked No. 6 Virginia in mid-March, a 15-13 game. That game marked the turning point of the season, as the Tigers went on a 9-2 run to end the regular season.
• This is Princeton's 22nd appearance in the NCAA Tournament, the third most appearances by a team
• The program has a 31-18 record in the tournament
• Princeton had a 12-year streak of NCAA appearances from 1998-2009
• The Tigers have made it to the championship round 11 times since the NCAA Tournament began in 1982
• Princeton has won three national titles, in 1994, 2002 and 2003