Big Weekend on Deck for Menís Water Polo Featuring Trio of Top-10 Teams
The 11th-ranked Princeton men’s water polo team is set to embark on one of its most challenging weekends of the year, a three-day seven-game weekend in Southern California featuring three top-10 opponents. Action runs from Sept. 27-29 for the undefeated Tigers (6-0, 3-0 Southern) in the greater Los Angeles region.
| No. 11 Princeton (6-0, 3-0 Southern)
|Live Media:||@PUTIGERS l @PWaterpolo|
|Game Date:||Opponent • Location • Time:|
|Friday, Sept. 27||Chapman • Orange, Calif. • 1 p.m. ET|
|No. 7 Long Beach State • Long Beach, Calif. • 10 p.m. ET|
|Saturday, Sept. 28||No. 2 USC • Los Angeles, Calif. • 1 p.m. ET|
|La Verne • La Verne, Calif. • 6 p.m. ET|
|No. 1 UCLA • Los Angeles, Calif. • 11 p.m. ET|
|Sunday, Sept. 29||Claremont McKenna • Whittier, Calif. • 1 p.m. ET|
|Whittier • Whittier, Calif. • 4 p.m. ET|
Last Time Out:
• The Tigers extended their season opening win streak to six behind three Southern Division-Eastern victories last weekend.
•Princeton kicked off its first road weekend with a 15-10 win over Johns Hopkins and a 12-7 win over Navy on Sept. 21, and closed out the trip with a 9-5 victory over George Washington the next afternoon.
On Deck: Following the conclusion of its 10-game road swing, Princeton returns home to resume conference play with Bucknell on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m. at DeNunzio Pool.
Follow the Tigers: Live video will be available for all Princeton home games at GoPrincetonTigers.com.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.com/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• Connect with the Tiger water polo program at Facebook.com/PrincetonWaterPolo and Twitter.com/PWaterPolo.
Dearborn Earns First Southern Defensive Player of the Week:
• Senior goalie Ben Dearborn was named Southern Division Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career.
• Dearborn started a pair of games, spanning five quarters of action last weekend for Princeton.
• He tallied 19 saves and an assist in the pair of victories, making a season-high 14 saves in the squad’s 15-10 win over Johns Hopkins on Sept. 21.
• He is the second Tiger to be selected, as fellow goalie Alex Gow earned the honor the week prior.
Nicolao Reaches Career Milestone:
• 16th-season head coach Luis Nicolao reached the 300-win milestone at the helm of the men’s program in Princeton’s 15-10 win over Johns Hopkins on Sept. 21.
• He owns a combined 648-261 record as coach of both the men’s and women’s programs, 302-133 with the men and 348-128 with the women.
• Chapman enters Friday’s meeting with a 2-1 record.
• Brett Carter leads the team with eight goals, five assists and five steals.
• Stephen Neil serves as the team’s primary goalie, with a 17 saves, 18 goals against, seven steals and a 9.00 goals against average.
• Princeton owns the all-time series versus the Panthers, 1-0.
Scouting No. 7 Long Beach State:
• No. 7 Long Beach State hosts its home opener versus the Tigers Friday and sits at 9-3 on the year.
• The 49ers are led by Zacchary Kappos and Nolan McConnell’s 22 and 20 goals, respectively.
• Pavo Ljepopio has taken a bulk of the minutes in the cage for CSULB, tallying 95 saves, a 10.50 saves percentage and 73 goals against average spanning nine games.
• Long Beach State owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 5-1. The squads are even 1-1 when playing at Long Beach.
Scouting No. 2 Southern California:
• USC (10-1) drops from No. 1 to 2 in the nation after suffering its first defeat of the year to UCLA last weekend.
• The Trojans are the 12-time national champions, including winning the last five.
• Nikola Vavic leads the offense with 32 goals.
• In goal, James Clark has played in nine games over 29 quarters. He has 60 saves, an 8.30 saves percentage, 36 goals against and a 5.0 goals against average.
• USC owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 4-0, including going 2-0 at home.
Scouting La Verne:
• La Verne is currently riding a 10-game season-opening losing skid.
• The Leopards are a member of the SCIAC and an NCAA Division III affiliate.
• Princeton and La Verne have only met once in program history, with the Tigers earning the victory.
Scouting No. 1 UCLA:
• Fellow unbeaten No. 1 UCLA improved to 11-0 and the top ranking spot in the nation following its 9-8 win over USC last weekend.
• Paul Reynolds leads the offense with 23 goals over 11 games.
• The Bruins have employed freshman Garrett Danner as the primary goaltender, tallying 68 saves and a 10.46 goals against average over seven games played.
• UCLA owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 7-0, including a 3-0 record when playing at home.
Scouting Claremont McKenna:
• The second SCIAC team on Princeton’s schedule, Claremont McKenna enters the weekend with a 2-7 record.
• The Stags are coming off a split weekend, defeating La Verne 12-5, before falling to Cal Baptist 9-7.
• Princeton is 1-0 all-time versus CMS.
• Princeton will conclude its weekend trip with a third SCIAC affiliate in 5-6 Whittier.
• The Poets have won three of their last four contests entering the weekend and will face USC before the Tigers.
• Princeton owns the all-time series versus Whittier 1-0.