38 Days, 38 Sports: Softball
As a countdown to the start of the 2013-14 athletic schedule, GoPrincetonTigers.com will take a look at each of Princeton's 38 sports. A new post will be added each day Monday through Friday until the first Princeton athletic events on Aug. 31.
|Princeton Softball: Five Numbers to Know|
|1982||First year as a varsity sport||17||Ivy League titles||8||NCAA tournament appearances||27||Ivy League Player, Pitcher and Rookie of the Year honors||195||All-time All-Ivy League honorees|
|Returning Hits Leader
|Top Returning Pitcher
|Ten Princeton Softball Facts
• While becoming the winningest first-year coach in Princeton softball history, Lisa Sweeney was also the second-winningest first-year coach in Ivy League softball history, one win short of matching the mark.
• Princeton has had an All-Ivy League honoree every year since 1981, earning as many as 11 honors in 1995.
• Princeton has been to eight NCAA tournaments, most recently in 2008.
• The program's success in the postseason is unmatched in the Ivy League. The team made it to the Women's College World Series in 1995 and 1996. The program hosted NCAA tournament games in 1994, 1995 and 1996, and its most recent NCAA tournament win came in 2005.
• In 2008, Princeton set a program record with 55 home runs on its way to an Ivy-record 18-2 league season and an NCAA tournament berth.
• The winningest coach in program history is Cindy Cohen, who won 560 games from 1983-2000.
• Jamie Lettire '10 is the most recent of Princeton's 14 Ivy League Players of the Year. Kristen Schaus '08 is the most recent of Princeton's eight Ivy League Pitchers of the Year. And Kathryn Welch '09 is the most recent of Princeton's seven Ivy League Rookies of the Year.
• Since 1985, the Class of 1895 Field has been the home of the Princeton softball team. It will be the team's 30th season there in 2014.
• Maureen (Davies) Barron '97 holds a special place in program history, standing not only as the winningest pitcher in program annals with 83 victories, but she also won 196 games as the team's coach from 2001-07, guiding the program to four Ivy titles.
• Stacy Thurber '96 is the program's all-time hits leader, racking up 236 hits. In the last decade, Kathryn Welch '09 has come the closest, getting 199 hits.
July 10 - Baseball
July 11 - Field Hockey
July 12 - Football
July 15 - Women's Tennis
July 16 - Men's Heavyweight Crew
July 17 - Women's Basketball
July 18 - Men's Outdoor Track
July 19 - Women's Open Crew
July 22 - Men's Lacrosse
July 23 - Women's Squash
July 24 - Men's Golf
July 25 - Women's Volleyball
July 26 - Men's Basketball
July 29 - Women's Lacrosse
July 30 - Men's Hockey
July 31 - Women's Swimming
Aug. 1 - Men's Tennis
Aug. 2 - Women's Cross Country
Aug. 5 - Wrestling
Aug. 6 - Women's Indoor Track
Aug. 7 - Men's Cross Country
Aug. 8 - Women's Outdoor Track
Aug. 9 - Men's Swimming
Aug. 12 - Women's Hockey
Aug. 13 - Men's Lightweight Crew
Aug. 14 - Women's Soccer
Aug. 15 - Men's Indoor Track
Aug. 16 - Softball