Softball Opens Fall Play, Gets Set for Second Fall Weekend
• The Princeton softball team faced Saint Joseph's and La Salle Saturday at two sites in Allentown, Pa., as part of the Carole Weil Tournament.
• The event was the first of two fall dates for the Tigers, who will be at home Sunday for a noon doubleheader against Delaware.
• Princeton opened Saturday in Allentown against Saint Joseph's, with the Hawks holding off a Princeton rally to win 3-2. Both games were six innings due to time restrictions.
• The Tigers rapped 10 hits off Saint Joseph's pitching, with Nikki Chu going 3 for 4 with a two-out, two-RBI double in the sixth to make it 3-2. Alyssa Schmidt and Sarah McGowan each had doubles as well, and Tory Roberts chipped in a triple.
• Liza Kuhn threw four innings against the Hawks, giving up a run on five hits and a walk, striking out two. McGowan closed out the six-inning contest, giving up two runs on four hits and a walk, striking out one.
• Princeton scored all six runs over the first two innings and withstood a La Salle comeback to defeat the Explorers 6-5 in Saturday's second game.
• Lizzy Pierce, Alex Peyton, McGowan and Libby Crowe each hit home runs over the first two innings, helping to stake Princeton to its 6-0 lead.
• Peyton threw three shutout innings, giving up just two hits and striking out a pair. McGowan allowed two runs, coming on a walk and a home run in the fourth, in her two innings of work, while Meredith Brown allowed three runs on two hits and an error in the game-ending sixth inning.
• Princeton tried a different starter at each position over the two games, and 17 Tigers saw action.