Women's Tennis Wins Third Straight, Tops Columbia 5-2
PRINCETON -- Any hopes the Princeton women's tennis team has of an Ivy League title share rest mostly in others' hands at this point, but the Tigers are doing their part.
Yale's win over Harvard means the Bulldogs are a win in either of their last two matches -- Sunday against Dartmouth or next weekend against Brown -- from winning an outright title. Two losses and a win by Princeton over Cornell Sunday would give the Tigers a title share, but Princeton, of course, can only control one of those three matches.
Princeton picked up its third straight Ivy League win with a 5-2 victory over Columbia, taking the doubles point and four singles matches.
Though Columbia defeated Princeton's ranked doubles pair of Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graff in a tiebreaker in court one, Princeton handled the Lions on the other two courts to take the 1-0 lead.
Monica Chow and Rachel Saiontz followed with straight-set victories, putting the Tigers one point from clinching the win, but Columbia fought back with two straight-set wins of its own to make the team score 3-2 in favor of Princeton.
Katie Goepel and Lindsay Graff were the last two on court, and both matches went Princeton's way. Goepel won a tiebreak in the first set and rebounded from losing the second set to claim the decisive point 6-1 in set three, and Graff fought off two match points in the second set and four more in the third to claim her win. Graff had been blanked in the first set but rallied to take the second set 7-6 and the third set 5-4, both in tiebreakers. The third set was shortened as Princeton had already claimed the team victory.
The Tigers will close out the Ivy schedule Sunday at Cornell in an 11 a.m. match.
(72) Princeton (11-10, 4-2) 5, (73) Columbia (12-6, 3-3) 2
1. Sanon/Takenaga (C) def. (34) Bartlett/Graff (P), 9-8(5)
2. Goepel/Saiontz (P) def. Alecsiu/Bartnik (C), 8-1
3. Chow/Flanigan (P) def. Leung/Kovacevic (C), 8-5
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Nicole Bartnik (C) def. (116) Hilary Bartlett (P), 6-2, 6-1
2. Lindsay Graff (P) def. Bianca Sanon (C), 0-6, 7-6(6), 5-4(6)
3. Iani Alecsiu (C) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 6-2, 7-5
4. Rachel Saiontz (P) def. Crystal Leung (C), 6-4, 6-2
5. Monica Chow (P) def. Katarina Kovacevic (C), 6-3, 6-1
6. Katie Goepel (P) def. Tiana Takenaga (C), 7-6(2), 3-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,4,1,3,6,2