Memphis Defeats Shorthanded Women's Tennis, 4-3
PRINCETON -- Battling its ninth ranked foe in 13 matches this season, the 49th-ranked Princeton women's tennis team fell 4-3 to 60th-ranked Memphis in a Wednesday afternoon matinee in Jadwin Gym.
Princeton was hindered by having only five healthy players for the match, meaning the Tigers had to default at third doubles and sixth singles. When Memphis won at second doubles, that gave the southern Tigers a point before the home team won a battle of ranked doubles pairs 8-3 as 37th-ranked Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graff defeated 28th-ranked Alyssa Hibberd and Tiffany Welcher.
Princeton needed to win four of five singles matches to take the victory and nearly did so. Despite wins from Hilary Bartlett in an upset of 33rd-ranked Courtney Collins at first singles and from Katherine Flanigan and Monica Chow, Memphis prevailed when 123rd-ranked Mariya Slupska won over 116th-ranked Lindsay Graff in three sets at second singles.
Princeton will be away from competition until March 20 when it plays at Miami (Fla.).
(60) Memphis (8-3) 4, (49) Princeton (6-7) 3
1. (37) Bartlett/Graff (P) def. (28) Hibbard/Welcher (M), 8-3
2. Mikusz/Slupska (M) def. Chow/Flanigan (P), 8-2
3. Collins/Gray (M) won by default
Order of finish: 2,1
1. Hilary Bartlett (P) def. (33) Courtney Collins (M), 6-3, 6-1
2. (123) Mariya Slupska (M) def. (116) Lindsay Graff (P), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. (117) Tiffany Welcher (M), 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
4. (77) Stefanie Mikesz (M) def. Katie Goepel (P), 6-2, 6-0
5. Monica Chow (P) def. Alyssa Hibberd (M), 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
6. Kelly Gray (M) won by default
Order of finish: 4,1,3,5,2