Women's Tennis Opens ECAC Tournament with Win
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- The 43rd-ranked Princeton women's tennis team dealt Cornell its first loss of the season Friday morning in New Haven as the Tigers advanced at the ECAC Championship.
Princeton, seeded third in the tournament, claimed the doubles point with both of its nationally-ranked pairs, No. 35 Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graff and No. 49 Katie Goepel and Rachel Saiontz, getting wins. Graff, Goepel, Katherine Flanigan and Monica Chow got wins in singles play to make the 5-2 final.
Goepel's match on court five was the only one to extend beyond the second set as the Tiger freshman prevailed in a first-set tiebreak and rebounded from losing the middle frame to claim a point for Princeton. Chow battled through tiebreaks in both of her sets at sixth singles.
Cornell, the No. 6 seed in the bracket, picked up one of its points in an upset win for Sarah O'Neil over Bartlett, the nation's No. 84 singles player, in straight sets while the Red's Ryann Young won upon the Saiontz's retirement on court three.
The Tigers will play at 3 p.m. Saturday against national No. 38 and second-seeded Brown, a 5-2 winner Friday over Columbia.
(43) Princeton (4-1) 5, Cornell (4-1) 2
1. (35) Bartlett/Graff (P) def. O'Neil/Ordway (C), 8-1
2. (49) Goepel/Saiontz (P) def. Sullivan/Young (C), 9-8(5)
3. Rosemary Li/Perelman (C) def. Chow/Flanigan (P), 9-8(4)
1. Sarah O'Neil (C) def. (84) Hilary Bartlett (P), 6-2, 6-4
2. Lindsay Graff (P) def. Christine Ordway (C), 7-5, 6-2
3. Ryann Young (C) def. Rachel Saiontz (P), 4-3 (ret.)
4. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. Lauren Frazier (C), 6-0, 6-3
5. Katie Goepel (P) def. Gabby Sullivan (C), 7-6(2), 4-6, 6-3
6. Monica Chow (P) def. Sara Perelman (C), 7-6(5), 7-6(0)