Women's Tennis Defeats No. 41 Maryland, 5-2
PRINCETON -- Picking up its first win over a fellow ITA-ranked opponent in its second try this season, the No. 51 Princeton women's tennis team defeated No. 41 Maryland 5-2 Saturday afternoon in Jadwin Gymnasium.
Princeton wrested the doubles point when the nation's 55th-ranked pair of Katie Goepel and Rachel Saiontz won five of the last seven points to take a 9-7 win on court three. That paired with an 8-3 win by the 51st-ranked duo of Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graff on court one.
Singles wins from Saiontz and Goepel in straight sets brought Princeton to the verge of clinching the match, and Hilary Bartlett knocked off the 28th-ranked player in the nation, Cristina Stancu, by winning both sets in tiebreakers to make it 4-0 for the Tigers.
Maryland won the next two matches before Lindsay Graff closed it out with another two-set match in which both sets went to tiebreakers, making the 5-2 final.
The Tigers will head right back to the courts Sunday for a noon match against a Rutgers team that, at 3-0, has yet to surrender a point in the early going this season.
(51) Princeton (2-1) 5, (41) Maryland (2-4) 2
1. (51) Bartlett/Graff (P) def. (37) Belzunce/Luus (M), 8-3
2. Hansbrough/Irazusta (M) def. Chow/Flanigan (P), 8-3
3. (55) Goepel/Saiontz (P) def. Stancu/Van Berlo (M), 9-7
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Hilary Bartlett (P) def. (28) Cristina Stancu (M), 7-6(4), 7-6(5)
2. Lindsay Graff (P) def. Ana Belzunce (M), 7-6(4), 7-6(5)
3. Melissa Saiontz (P) def. Welma Luus (M), 6-2, 7-5
4. Vroni Van Berlo (M) def. Katherine Flanigan (P), 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
5. Katie Goepel (P) def. Jordan Hansbrough (M), 7-5, 6-1
6. Mikele Irazusta (M) def. Monica Chow (P), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,5,1,6,4,2