Baseball to Play String of Midweek Games
Three midweek games are on deck for the Princeton baseball team (3-7), as the Tigers hit the middle leg of their Mid-Atlantic road swing. Princeton will head to No. 12/17 North Carolina (Mar. 18) and Duke (Mar. 19), before traveling to Annapolis, Md. to square off with Maine on Thursday, Mar. 20.
Last Time Out:
• Battling schedule changes and the elements, Princeton went 1-2 at UNC-Greensboro to kick off its Spring Trip.
• In their first extra inning outing of 2014, Princeton responded from a 7-1 deficit to take an 8-6 lead off pinch hitter Andres Larramendi’s two-RBI single in the ninth.
• Both sides added a pair of runs in the 10th, but it was the Spartans to send home the game-winner in the bottom of the 12th to edge Princeton, 11-10, in game one of Mar. 15’s doubleheader.
• The second game was all UNCG, despite the Tigers tallying 10 hits in the 11-1 loss.
• Princeton opened with a five-run first inning and from there cruised to an 11-1 eight inning victory over the Spartans to wrap up the series.
On Deck: Princeton will open its five-game stint in Annapolis, Md. with a neutral sited contest versus Maine, before squaring off with host-Navy in a four-game series from Mar. 22-23.
Scouting No. 12/17 North Carolina:
• The first ranked opponent of the year, No. 12/17 North Carolina is coming off a 2-1 weekend on the road at Maryland.
• The Tar Heels (14-3, 4-2 ACC) are led by Wood Meyers at the plate, who is hitting .297 (22-for-74) with 12 runs, eight RBI, eight walks and four doubles.
• Either RHP Luis Paula or right-handed Taylore Cherry are the probable pitchers for Tuesday’s meeting. Paula is 1-0 in four appearances with a 1.42 ERA and 15 strikeouts, while Cherry is 0-0 in two appearances with a 4.05 ERA and eight strikeouts.
• Duke is coming off a sweep of Notre Dame to improve to 12-7, 4-2 ACC on the year.
• Jordan Betts leads the Blue Devil offense, batting .342 (27-for-79) with 11 runs, 10 RBI, eight doubles and a pair of triples.
• The Duke rotation is led by Andrew Istier’s 0.89 ERA and 3-2 record. In seven appearances, he’s tossed 21 strikeouts and given up three earned runs.
• Maine enters Wednesday’s meeting riding a two-game losing skid and holds a 7-14 record.
• Troy Black leads the squad at the plate with a .404 batting average (36-for-89) with 13 runs, 12 RBI and three doubles.
• The Black Bears have four players hitting above .300 entering the midweek meeting.
• The Maine rotation is guided by Shaun Coughlin’s (1-1) 3.86 ERA over 21.0 innings. He’s tossed 12 strikeouts and conceded nine earned runs in six appearances.