No. 8 Women’s Water Polo Headed to Aztec Invite to Open California Trip
|No. 8 Princeton (14-0) at Aztec Invitational|
|Game Info:||Saturday, Mar. 15 - Sunday, Mar. 16|
|Location:||San Diego State • San Diego, Calif.|
||@PUTIGERS l @Pwaterpolo
|About Princeton:||Roster l Schedule l Stats|
|Game One:||Saturday, Mar. 15 • 11 a.m. ET
vs. No. 13 UC San Diego
|Game Two:||Saturday, Mar. 15 • 5:15 p.m. ET
vs. No. 10 San Jose State
|Game Three:||Sunday, Mar. 16 • 2:45 p.m. ET
vs. Cal Lutheran
|Game Four:||Sunday, Mar. 16 • 7:45 p.m. ET
vs. No. 19 San Diego State
The eighth-ranked Princeton women’s water polo team will kick off its Southern California road swing at the San Diego State-hosted Aztec Invitational from Mar. 15-16. The Tigers’ perfect 14-0 record will be put to the test versus three ranked opponents at the tournament.
Last Time Out:
• Princeton swept the Harvard Invitational last weekend going 3-0 to remain undefeated.
• The Tigers improved to 4-0 versus top-20 teams with wins over then-No. 19 Hartwick, 8-7, and then-No. 18 Santa Clara, 14-11.
• Princeton also topped Iona for the third time this year with a 9-7 win.
On Deck: Princeton will head to the LMU Zumo Invite from Mar. 21-22 in Los Angeles to wrap up its week in the Golden State with four games.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.co/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• To connect with the water polo program, follow the Tigers on Facebook.com/PrincetonWaterPolo and Twitter via @Pwaterpolo.
Johnson Named Defensive Player of the Week:
• Five weeks into the 2014 season and Princeton women’s water polo goalie Ashleigh Johnson has collected her fourth CWPA Southern Division Defensive Player of the Week honor and the eighth of her career.
• The sophomore has now earned 10 divisional weekly awards over her Tiger tenure.
• Johnson helped Princeton cruise to a weekend sweep at the Harvard Invitational last weekend and improve to 14-0 on the year behind her 42-save effort, including a 19-save outing versus Iona to match her career second-best single-game saves total.
• Johnson sports a 13-0 record and has a .695 saves percentage.
• The Tigers remain ranked No. 8 in the national top-20 with 63 points.
• Princeton is the top ranked East Coast program and has been in the top-10 all season.
• The Tigers remain tabbed No. 1 in the CWPA Top 10 Poll with 97 points, but for the first time this year are sharing top billing with Indiana.
Pacing the Play:
• As she has done throughout her career, senior Katie Rigler paces the offense with a team-high 27 goals.
• Princeton has distributed the ball well and features three other players with 20 or more goals in Ashley Hatcher (25), Molly McBee (20) and Diana Murphy (22).
• Hatcher is riding a four-game scoring streak and has netted eight goals over that span.
Trending Now: Princeton is outscoring opponents 158-90 on the year.
Scouting No. 13 UC San Diego:
• UC San Diego returns to action following its 3-1 outing at the Claremont Convergence and has a 14-8 record.
• Sarah Lizotte leads the Triton attack with 45 goals, 28 assists and 19 goals, while goalie Courtney Miller has 195 saves, 17 steals and 11 assists.
All-Time vs. UC San Diego:
• Princeton owns the all-time series versus UC San Diego, 9-3.
• The two squads met earlier this season, a 9-8 win for the Tigers on Feb. 15 at the Bison Invitational.
Scouting No. 10 San Jose State:
• No. 10 San Jose State is coming off three consecutive losses to top-eight programs and enters the weekend at 13-9.
• Four Spartan players have 30 or more goals, led by Clara Espar Llaquet’s team-high 64.
• Maddie Reardon has taken the bulk of the minutes in goal and has a 9.49 goals against average and 134 saves.
All-Time vs. San Jose State:
• San Jose State owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 6-0.
• In the last meeting, the Spartans edged the Tigers, 13-12, on Mar. 3, 2012.
Scouting Cal Lutheran:
• Cal Lutheran heads to San Diego following a midweek split at home and holds a 4-10 record.
• The Lutes will face Harvard and Wagner before facing off with the Tigers.
All-Time vs. Cal Lutheran: This will be the first meeting in program history between Princeton and Cal Lutheran.
Scouting No. 19 San Diego State:
• Tournament host No. 19 San Diego State (11-7) is coming off a 3-1 weekend at the Harvard Invitational.
• There is a seven-way tie for scoring leader at 18 among the Aztecs, with Anique Hermann’s 18 goals, 37 assists and 37 steals leading the field players.
• Rachel Mitchell has played in all 18 games in goal, tallying a 7.50 goals against average and 176 saves.
All-Time vs. San Diego State:
• San Diego State owns the all-time series versus Princeton, 12-1.
• The Aztecs topped the Tigers, 10-7, in the last meeting on Mar. 17, 2013.