Playing with its full lineup only two days after suffering a shorthanded 7-2 loss to the 10th-ranked Penn Quakers, Princeton claimed wins at each of the top three spots but couldn't find wins anywhere else against the undefeated Bantams.
Senior Dylan Ward, whose win at the No. 7 spot ignited Princeton's 3-0 finish in the 2012 national championship final, rallied from a loss in the first game and defeated Vrishab Kotian 11-5, 11-5, 11-8 to earn one of the most impressive wins of his stellar career.
Trinity did lead 2-1 after the first shift, as Zeyad Elshorafy took out Michael LeBlanc at the No. 6 spot, and Matthew Mackin rallied from an 0-1 hole to top freshman Ben Leizman at the No. 9 spot. It was an impressive showing from Leizman, who claimed an 11-9 win in his first career match at Trinity, and he was close against Mackin in the final three games.
Trinity grabbed 3-0 wins at the No. 5 and No. 8 spots in the second shift, but junior All-America Tyler Osborne made his return to the court with an impressive 3-0 win at No. 2. Osborne, another winner in the 2012 national championship match, missed the Penn match due to injury, but he bounced back with three close wins against Karan Malik to keep Princeton in the match.
Trinity clinched the team win in the third shift, as Princeton sophomore Sam Ezratty was forced to retire in the third game at the No. 7 spot. David Hoffman fell 3-0 at the No. 4 spot, but junior All-America Samuel Kang persevered through a tough fourth game to earn a 3-1 victory over Miled Zarazua.
Princeton will return home for the first time since November with a pair of Ivy League matches this weekend. The Tigers will take on Brown Saturday at 1, and then will host No. 3 Yale Sunday at noon.
TRINITY 6, PRINCETON 3
1. Samuel Kang (P) def. Miled Zarazua (TC) 11-8, 11-3, 6-11, 11-9
2. Tyler Osborne (P) def. Karan Malik (TC) 11-8, 11-9, 12-14
3. Dylan Ward (P) def. Vrishab Kotian (TC) 8-11, 11-5, 11-5, 11-8
4. Juan Vargas (TC) def. David Hoffman (P) 11-5, 11-7, 11-7
5. Elroy Leong (TC) def. Taylor Tutorne (P) 11-6, 11-5, 11-0
6. Zeyad Elshorafy (TC) def. Michael Leblanc (P) 11-5, 11-7, 11-9
7. Moustafa Hamada (TC) def. Sam Ezratty (P) 11-7, 11-1, WD
8. Affeeq Ismail (TC) def. Ash Egan (P) 11-2, 11-6, 11-8
9. Matthew Mackin (TC) def. Ben Leizman (P) 9-11, 11-6, 11-8, 11-4