This Week for the Tigers:
• The No. 10 Princeton field hockey team returns home to host its Ivy League home opener versus Yale (2-4, 0-1 Ivy) Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. The program will host its Bedford Field dedication ceremony at halftime.
• The squad then hits the road for a meeting with No. 3 UConn (7-0) on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 2 p.m. in Storrs, Conn.
Last Time Out:
• The Tigers (4-2, 1-0 Ivy) are coming off their second straight split weekend.
• Princeton opened Ivy League play with an explosive 7-1 victory at Dartmouth on Sept. 21.
• The following afternoon the Tiger offense struggled to find their rhythm as they suffered a 4-0 defeat to then-No. 5 Syracuse.
On Deck: Princeton returns home to host Columbia on Friday, Oct. 4, before heading out on a five-game road swing.
Follow the Tigers: Live audio, video and stats will be available for all Princeton home games at GoPrincetonTigers.com.
• Are you following Princeton on social media? Follow the athletics department at Facebook.com/PrincetonAthletics, Twitter.com/PUTIGERS, Vine.com/PUTIGERS and Instagram.com/PrincetonAthletics.
• Connect with the Tiger Field Hockey team at Facebook.com/TigerFH and Twitter.com/TigerFH.
• Yale enters this week’s action with a 2-4, 0-1 Ivy record.
• The Bulldogs are coming off a 3-2 victory over Vermont on Sept. 22, after kicking off Ivy play with a 3-2 loss to Harvard the previous day.
• Georgia Holland headlines the Bulldog scoring game with five goals, while Erica Borgo has a team-high six assists.
• In goal, Emily Cain has started five of six games, seeing 245:00 minutes of action. She’s allowed 10 goals against, has a 2.86 goals against average, 33 saves and a .767 saves percentage.
All-Time vs. Yale:
• Princeton owns the all-time series versus Yale 37-2-3, including an 18-2-1 record at home.
• In their last meeting, the Tigers handed the Bulldogs an 8-0 loss on Sept. 22, 2012 in New Haven, Conn.
• Kathleen Sharkey ’13 scored four goals and Maddie Copeland ’16 had a pair in the dominating effort.
Scouting No. 3 UConn:
• No. 3 UConn enters this week as one of four teams still unbeaten at 7-0.
• The Huskies open conference play on Saturday, Sept. 28 versus Villanova before hosting the Tigers.
• Connecticut has outscored opponents 22-6, with Chloe Hunnable and Anne Jeute’s seven and five goals, respectively leading the way.
• Sarah Mansfield has served as the Huskies’ lone goalkeeper, tallying six goals against, an 0.82 goals against average, 32 saves and an .842 saves percentage. Along with her seven wins between the pipes, she has three shutouts.
All-Time vs. UConn
• UConn owns the all-time series versus Princeton 12-7, including an 8-3 advantage at home.
• The Tigers defeated the Huskies 4-1 in their last meeting on Oct. 21, 2012 at Bedford Field. Kathleen Sharkey ‘13 notched a pair of goals, while Sydney Kirby’s 39th-minute strike served as the game-winner.
Raise the Banner Night:
• Friday, Sept. 27 will be raise the banner night for the Tigers, celebrating winning the 2012 national championship.
• During halftime, Princeton will host a Bedford Field dedication ceremony.
• Sophomore Teresa Benvenuti recorded her first career hat trick in Princeton’s 7-1 victory over Dartmouth.
• The reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Year also added a second half assist in the winning effort.
• Benvenuti leads the Tiger offense with six goals and four assists for 16 points.
Rookies Record First Points:
• Freshmen Cat Caro and Annabeth Donovan have seen action in all six games this year, moving into the starting lineup for the last four.
• Caro notched a pair of assists and Donovan scored a goal and had an assist versus Dartmouth, both career firsts for the duo.
• The Tigers have tremendous depth at the goalkeeper position, featuring three experienced players.
• Senior All-America Christina Maida (2-1) has taken the bulk of the minutes and sports a 1.62 goals against average, six goals against, 13 saves and a .684 saves percentage.
• Sophomore Anya Gersoff (2-1) made her first career start versus Dartmouth. She has six saves and a .600 saves percentage.
• Junior Julia Boyle rounds out the trio, contributing to the Tigers’ win versus Fairfield on Sept. 7.
The National Scene:
• Along with their No. 10 national ranking, Princeton is ranked No. 12 in this week’s RPI poll.
• Teresa Benvenuti is No. 7 in the nation in points per game (2.67) and No. 10 in goals per game (1.00).
• As a team, the Tigers are tabbed:
• No. 7 - assists per game (3.33)
• No. 8 - points per game (9.67)
• No. 11 - goals per game (3.17)
• No. 13 - scoring average (3.06)
Reinprecht ‘13 and Sharkey ‘13 Headed to Pan Am Semis:
• After going 3-0 in group play, Katie Reinprecht ’13, Kathleen Sharkey ’13 and the U.S. Field Hockey National Team have advanced to the semifinals at the 2013 Pan American Cup in Mendoza, Argentina.
• Team USA is set to play northern rival Canada on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 5:30 p.m. ET.
• Reinprecht tallied three goals and Sharkey had a pair over the three-game group stage.
A Look at Last Year:
• Katie Reinprecht ‘13 was named Princeton’s first Honda Award Winner, along with garnering NFHCA and Mid-Atlantic Player of the Year and Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year honors.
• Kathleen Sharkey ‘13 led the nation in scoring and was named the Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year.
• Teresa Benvenuti ‘16 earned Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors.
• 10 Tigers were named All-Ivy and All-Mid-Atlantic Region Team selections.
• Five players earned All-America accolades.
• Kristen Holmes-Winn was named the NFHCA and Mid-Atlantic Coach of the Year.
The Captains: Seniors Kelsey Byrne, Michelle Cesan and Julia Reinprecht will serve as tri-captains in 2013.
• Bedford, a state-of-the-art turf facility, features an optimal playing surface in artificial turf and a built-in watering system.
• There are currently 1,572 seats, with room for additional temporary seating.
National Team News:
• Julia Reinprecht ‘14, a 2012 London Summer Olympian, competed with the U.S. Senior National Team at the World League Semifinals in London this summer.
• Michelle Cesan ‘14, a 2012 London Summer Olympics alternate, is a member of the U.S. Senior National Team.
• Teresa Benvenuti ‘16 was named to the U.S. Senior National Team this spring. She competed with the U21s at the Junior World Cup in Aug. 2013.
• Alums Katie Reinprecht ‘13 and Kathleen Sharkey ‘13 are also members of the senior national team, most recently being named to the U.S. Pan Am Cup roster.
• Former assistant coach Nate Franks ‘07 is on staff at USA Field Hockey.
Williamson Joins Coaching Staff:
• David Williamson joined the Tiger coaching staff as the team’s goalkeeping coach in 2013.
• He is a 2002 graduate of the University of Ulster.
• He previously worked at Monmouth, Kent State, the Irish Hockey and U.S. Field Hockey associations.