PRINCETON - Needing to win all three singles matches still on court, the Princeton men's tennis team did just that Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, defeating Penn 4-3 to win the Ivy League opener.
After losing the doubles point in a tiebreak on court one, Princeton fell behind 3-1 after Penn got wins from Phil Law on court three and Jeremy Court on court five. Matija Pecotic claimed Princeton's first point with a straight-set win over Ivan Turudic on court one.
Dan Richardson picked up a win on court four to make the match 3-2 in favor of the Quakers, and Matt Spindler won five straight games to turn a 3-1 deficit - while standing at 0-40 in the fifth game - into a 6-3 win in the third set.
Spindler's win tied the match, and it was up to Matt Siow to hold off Zach Katz and claim the victory. The third set between Siow and Katz went into a tiebreak, and Siow trailed 5-2 before winning five straight points to save the match for the Tigers.
Princeton will host Brown Saturday and Yale Sunday as the Tigers get into the first of three two-match weekends in Ivy League play.
Princeton (10-8) 4, Penn (8-6) 3
1. Kocovic/Turudic (Penn) def. (40) Siow/Spindler (Prin), 9-8(7)
2. Bloom/Dan Davies (Prin) def. Jason Lin/Wong (Penn), 8-4
3. Court/Katz (Penn) def. Michael Lin/Yohei Shoji (Prin), 8-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. (65) Matija Pecotic (Prin) def. Ivan Turudic (Penn), 6-2, 6-1
2. Matt Spindler (Prin) def. Nikola Kocovic (Penn), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Law (Penn) def. Augie Bloom (Prin), 6-3, 6-3
4. Dan Richardson (Prin) def. Rob Wong (Penn), 6-3, 7-5
5. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Zack McCourt (Princeton), 7-5, 6-3
6. Matt Siow (Prin) def. Zach Katz (Penn), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5)
Order of finish: 1,3,5,4,2,6
Video courtesy team member Michael Katz.