HANOVER, N.H. -- St. John's defeated the 70th-ranked Princeton men's tennis team 4-2 Sunday at Dartmouth in the ECAC Championship consolation final.
Matija Pecotic and Dan Richardson had Princeton's points. In a battle of nationally ranked singles players, 59th-ranked Pecotic beat 27th-ranked Vasko Mladenov in three sets, losing the first in a tiebreak and winning the second in another tiebreak. Richardson beat Matty Najfeld in straight sets at sixth singles.
Doubles would have been played only if the teams split the six singles matches. The Tigers will return to the court with a doubleheader next Sunday in Jadwin Gym, facing Buffalo at 11 a.m. and Fairleigh Dickinson at 4 p.m.
St. John's (6-2) 4, (70) Princeton (3-6) 2
1. (59) Matija Pecotic (P) def. (27) Vasko Mladenov (S), 6-7(5), 7-6(2), 6-2
2. Milo Hauk (S) def. Matt Spindler (P), 6-4, 7-5
3. Stefan Bojic (S) def. Matt Siow (P), 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
4. Illja Vucic (S) def. Zack McCourt (P), 6-2, 6-3
5. Mike Lampa (S) def. Ravi Yegya-Raman (P), 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
6. Dan Richardson (P) def. Matty Najfeld (S), 6-1, 6-4