38 Days, 38 Sports: Women's Golf
As a countdown to the start of the 2013-14 athletic schedule, GoPrincetonTigers.com will take a look at each of Princeton's 38 sports. A new post will be added each day Monday through Friday until the first Princeton athletic events on Aug. 31.
|Princeton Women's Golf: Five Numbers to Know|
|1991||First year as a varsity sport||4||Ivy League titles||3||NCAA tournament appearances||9||Ivy League individual champions||37||All-time All-Ivy League honorees|
|Top Freshmen in 2012-13
Sydney Kersten & Alexandra Wong
|Ten Princeton Women's Golf Facts
• Princeton's first varsity tournament was the 1992 Yale Spring Opener. The 2013-14 season will be the 23rd season of varsity women's golf.
• The Ivy League Championship came to be in 1997, and Princeton players have won nine of the 17 Ivy League individual titles. Kelly Shon, a rising senior, was the most recent winner, in 2013.
• As a team, Princeton has won the Ivy League title four times, most recently in 2005. The Tigers came up one stroke short of their fifth Ivy title last year.
• Princeton has had nine NCAA individual selections, all since 1995. Kelly Shon is the most recent of those, gaining a berth in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
• In 2014, senior Kelly Shon will try to become the first Tiger in program history to play in four NCAA Regionals, whether as part of a team or individually.
• The program has had just three non-interim coaches in its history, with Eric Stein serving as coach from the program's inception until 2005.
• The Ivy League Player of the Year award was inaugurated in 2009, and Princeton has won two of the five awarded with Susannah Aboff '09 in 2009 and Kelly Shon in 2013.
• Princeton's home course is Springdale Golf Club, located just across Alexander Road from campus. The course is in its third century of operation, with golf having been first played there in 1896.
• The only two Ivy Leaguers to advance out of the NCAA Regional and play in the NCAA Championship are Tigers, with Mary Moan '97 doing so in 1997 and Kelly Shon matching the feat in 2013.
• Avery Kiser '05 is one of the program's all-time greats, having won three Ivy League individual championships from 2002-04. She remains the only player in Ivy League history with three titles.
July 10 - Baseball
July 11 - Field Hockey
July 12 - Football
July 15 - Women's Tennis
July 16 - Men's Heavyweight Crew
July 17 - Women's Basketball
July 18 - Men's Outdoor Track
July 19 - Women's Open Crew
July 22 - Men's Lacrosse
July 23 - Women's Squash
July 24 - Men's Golf
July 25 - Women's Volleyball
July 26 - Men's Basketball
July 29 - Women's Lacrosse
July 30 - Men's Hockey
July 31 - Women's Swimming
Aug. 1 - Men's Tennis
Aug. 2 - Women's Cross Country
Aug. 5 - Wrestling
Aug. 6 - Women's Indoor Track
Aug. 7 - Men's Cross Country
Aug. 8 - Women's Outdoor Track
Aug. 9 - Men's Swimming
Aug. 12 - Women's Hockey
Aug. 13 - Men's Lightweight Crew
Aug. 14 - Women's Soccer
Aug. 15 - Men's Indoor Track
Aug. 16 - Softball
Aug. 19 - Men's Fencing
Aug. 20 - Women's Fencing
Aug. 21 - Sprint Football
Aug. 22 - Women's Golf